2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1987
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Interstate
87 Gl 1200 carb rebuilt with 102/35 jets

Hi guys...
First thing thank you so much for these forums and all the "how to" vids and tutorials... a real goldmine for a newbie like me...
Ok so not patting myself on the back but since i got my 87 1200 Interstate last week I was able to pull out the carburetors bank and rebuild them with a kit bought online...
... added 10w40 oil... got rid of all the old gas... cleaned the fuel filter and all electrical connections i could find... new air filter... new gasoline...
Then carbs back in the baby and today I turned the key in for the first time... and it worked..
At least partially...
The engine idles but stalls whenever I want to turn off the choke or give it some gas...
I did a by the book set up on the pilot jet of 1and3/4 turn on the pilot jet...
One thing I noticed afterwards though is that all these rebuild kits are 102 main and 35 idle jets which are not the original setting...
So my feeling is that I'm extremely lean to the point where I can't cut off the choke without the engine stalling... am i right ? Anybody familiar with this particular combination on 102/35 and he adjusted the richness and the pilot ?
Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:01 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Rebuild kits are a very, very bad idea. Honda sells the needed o-rings and such for less money and there's no reason to replace the jets. And never use a non Keihen float needle.

However, I'll ask, are you running it without an air filter, or a foam filter?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Hi Bike and Dennis...
I'm running it with a brand new air filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:10 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
If the rubber parts fit your carbs you're lucky, the brass parts in aftermarket kits are junk and you don't need them anyway like Dennis said. Motorcycle carbs are very particular about having all the passages cleaned & float settings exactly right.
limpy45 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
I agree with Dennis about not using the brass parts in aftermarket rebuild kits. I have been successful with the rubber parts. The only brass parts in the Keihin CV carbs that wear are the needles and the needle jets. The hole in the jet should be round and the needle will have flats when they are worn.

I struggled a lot to get my '85 running correctly. You can read about it here: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...de-report.html

About the GL1200 carburetors. When they work they are marvelous. When they don't they are a pig. One thing about the mid 80s motorcycles, all the manufacturers were leaning the hell out of them to get them to pass emissions. Even with that, if the Keilins are correctly set up the bike will run well. I'm not sure about the '87, but my '85 was fitted with 35/108. Against the recommendations of the people on this forum I put 112 mains in. Once the problems with the intake, exhaust and carburetors were corrected the over sized jets were not required. All it did was make the bike smell like unburnt gas. Kind of like an old pre-emissions car. Not needed.

After reading this thread it is pretty clear the bike is running lean. You went a lot smaller with those jets. That would just make things worse. If it was me, I would buy a new set of jets from Jets R Us. Get the correct Keihin size. Then carefully look at all of the rubber and make sure the o-rings at the base of the intake runners are good. Keep us posted.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
I agree with Dennis about not using the brass parts in aftermarket rebuild kits. I have been successful with the rubber parts. The only brass parts in the Keihin CV carbs that wear are the needles and the needle jets. The hole in the jet should be round and the needle will have flats when they are worn.

After reading this thread it is pretty clear the bike is running lean. You went a lot smaller with those jets. That would just make things worse. If it was me, I would buy a new set of jets from Jets R Us. Get the correct Keihin size. Then carefully look at all of the rubber and make sure the o-rings at the base of the intake runners are good. Keep us posted.
Thanks for all these inputsJamespal...
Something that confused me when I took the carbs apart : I didn't find any Orings anywhere except on the outside pilot...
Where are the bunch of Orings coming with the kit supposed to go ?
Also the floaters needles valves were completely stuck in their seats... I've tried everything but couldn't get them out without damaging them... so I had to replace at least these with new...
Another person on a different forum told me to shim the needles in order to compensate for the leaner jets ... what do you think ?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:18 PM

Garage
Reinstall the 108's?? if you still have them. No one has mentioned California series carbs are jetted different than the 49 states models. I know you are on the east coast, but motorcycles have wheels, and they move around.....
You don't shim to compensate for incorrect jetting. Some use a shim to lift the needle slightly to compensate off idle, but I've never found the need to on the 1200's. If they're clean, they work. After you've brought he carbs back to stock, you might want to open the pilots an extra 1/2-1 turn over recommended. Gas was a lot better when they designed these bikes. Since you replaced the needle and seat assy's, make sure your float level is correct.
And my book says 3 1/2 turns out. Not 1 3/4.....

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
Reinstall the 108's if you still have them. No .....
And my book says 3 1/2 turns out. Not 1 3/4.....
Thanks for your inputs GlHonda...

My Hanes repair manual for 1987 models like mine says 1.3/4 turn for non Californians models...
Did I miss something ?
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post

My Hanes repair manual for 1987 models like mine says 1.3/4 turn for non Californians models...
Did I miss something ?
My Honda manual says 1 3/4 for the 87 49State model and 3 1/2 for the 84 49State model.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post

Did I miss something ?
No. My bad. I used a PDF I had for the GL1200. My Honda manual does indeed say 1 3/4 initial opening for the '87. However, you'll probably end up around 3 turns doing the lean drop method anyway.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page