Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   80' 1100 Rear Brake Master Cylinder C clip not holding (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/666979-80-1100-rear-brake-master-cylinder-c-clip-not-holding.html)

dbnewton 04-15-2019 10:17 AM

80' 1100 Rear Brake Master Cylinder C clip not holding

My rear master cylinder came apart, C clip popped out. So I bought a rebuild kit, cleaned up the master and installed all the rebuild parts. I cleaned the grove where the C clip rides with a dremel brass wire wheel. Reassembled everything, bleed the system and it was all working fine. Test drove 25 miles or so and no problem.

Then yesterday the C clip popped out again (the rebuild kit included a new C clip which I used).

So clearly the lip on the master that holds the C clip is too corroded to hold properly. Unfortunately the 80-82 rear brake master cylinder is a hard to find part. I seem to have two options (dismissing the option of waiting until the part lands in my lap):

1 - disassemble the current master and use the dremel with a grinding wheel to cut the grove deeper/sharper.

2 - adapt a master from another year/model to fit (description of one method found on this site at: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...r-upgrade.html

Anyone have a similar problem with the C clip falling out? Is my option 1 even plausible?

rayjoe 04-15-2019 11:00 AM

goldwing

Find someone with a metal lathe and a small boring bar to clean up the groove.

Using a dremel will probably make it worse.

Rayjoe

AZgl1800 04-15-2019 02:00 PM

a dab of JB weld will hold that clip :)

Ken Bergen 04-15-2019 02:44 PM

The clip is directional.
The sharp side goes in the direction of thrust which in this case is down or out.

DaveO430 04-15-2019 03:27 PM

If all else fails drill a hole above the clip and put a screw in both sides to hold the clip in place.

Bike...and Dennis 04-15-2019 06:15 PM

Duct tape that thang!

JamesPal 04-15-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Bergen (Post 5835719)
The clip is directional.
The sharp side goes in the direction of thrust which in this case is down or out.

This is important. Also, make sure the clip is fully seated. It only takes a speck of crud to keep clip from seating. I would suggest getting a scribe with a hooked end and run it around the circumference.

RambozoClown 04-18-2019 07:24 PM

Isn't that a wire type C clip?
If so replacing it with a real snap ring or better yet a spiral lock will probably hold better in your worn grove. There are also push in retaining rings with teeth that grip the bore and don't even require a groove.
As mentioned above the real fix is to clean up the groove in a mill or lathe. Round profile for a wire C clip, square profile for a snap ring or spiral lock.
Go to McMaster Carr and search "Internal Retaining Rings".

dbnewton 04-18-2019 08:37 PM

When I removed the MC I decided to install the C clip (it is actually a snap ring). What I discovered was it was quite loose in it's grove as if it was too small.

So that led me to suspect there was something wrong with the snap ring. Quick experiment showed it was not a good spring in that it did not return to it's same diameter after being narrowed with the snap ring pliers.

Decided it was time for a new ring. The new ring seemed to hold it's shape after deformed to install and importantly fits tightly into it's grove.

So far it's holding. Only about 2 miles on a test drive but lots of braking. Maybe I just got an inproperly tempered snap ring in the kit??

chilidawg 04-19-2019 10:37 AM

Or one that was just 39 years old!

Age, gets to us all in the end, don't it?