Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   #4 Carb Is Off The Chart (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667007-4-carb-off-chart.html)

BadMonk's1200 04-17-2019 05:11 PM

#4 Carb Is Off The Chart

Had the carbs apart over the winter for cleaning. End of winter, I ran and balanced them with no problems. Rode the bike three or four times and it ran well. Last week, however, it idled rough as the day wore on. I assumed it was the idle mix screws and figured to re-tune the carbs today. In the process, I found the throttle spring was detached and #3 plug wire was in bad shape. Fixed all that - spring, plug wire and idle mix - hooked up the CarbTune to balance them and...#4 carb consistently moves the mercury (?) to the top of the scale. It pegs there and does not come down to earth.

I switched the hoses around to make sure it's not the manometer, tubes, etc. It's not any of that. The #4 carb runs to the top of the scale no matter what configuration is used.

It's strange, to me, because it had balanced several weeks ago with no issues. Now, it's unreadable. What's going on with #4 please?

chilidawg 04-17-2019 05:38 PM

I'm more used to gauges than a manometer so are you saying that you have a positive pressure at the intake of #4 instead of a vacuum, or do you mean it just stays at zero psig?

BadMonk's1200 04-17-2019 05:43 PM

It's not zero, so yes it's positive pressure. In terms of a dial gauge like a speedometer, it's pegged at 120 mph...if you catch my drift.

chilidawg 04-17-2019 06:05 PM

I kinda hoped you wouldn't say that, because I can't think of any other way for that to be highly positive than a problem with the intake valve on that cylinder. If you take the pipe off of that intake, can you feel anything coming out?

Sucks I know, but maybe some others will chime in with some better and less expensive ideas.

BadMonk's1200 04-17-2019 06:08 PM

Might explain why that one spark plug suddenly decided to run very rich, just outta the blue.

chilidawg 04-17-2019 06:10 PM

If you take the pipe off of that intake, can you feel anything coming out?

BadMonk's1200 04-17-2019 06:19 PM

Sorry, not following what you mean. What 'pipe' from the 'intake'?

Bike...and Dennis 04-17-2019 06:33 PM

He's referring to the exhaust head pipes.

BadMonk's1200 04-17-2019 06:42 PM

Thanks Dennis. That's what I thought but wasn't sure.
Need to do a compression test before doing much else. Reading doesn't turn up any info on why one gauge would spike like that.

DaveO430 04-17-2019 06:43 PM

#4 is the base carb on a 1200, all others synch off it. Turn the base idle screw in to get the vacuum to come down, the idle will go up, then start adjusting the others to match #4.