TRAC on GL1200 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Standard
I just realized where I read the 5.5 inch height. It is listed in the Progressive install notes as a not-to-exceed number. It also states that Progressive springs displace more oil. I found a post on this forum with numbers for the 1500 that are 8-9" deep, so I'm thinking to go with the 345 ml as per the manual. It's time to put the caps on an remount the front of this bike! Then I will only have to change the rear tire...

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
After all your miles? You're missing out of all the fun. Though, you spend more time riding!
It works fine. It's such a simple system, if you keep the oil changed, there's nothing to go wrong.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:19 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Dave, I just got back from Napa and I bought AMSOIL Synthetic ATF. I went with synthetic since I'd like to not do this again for awhile. It poured out cherry red, just like Dexron.

So I added 345 ml into each, like it states in the manual for disassembly. there is another 323 measurement, which is likely for draining only, since the delta of 22 ml is likely caught in the TRAC or elsewhere.

So with this added, forks compressed, no spring inserted, the oil is a good 8" from the top of the shock. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that it should come 5.5" from top. I had the same situation when I did my CRF230F recently. I understand you can go a bit more for a heavier ride, but there is a point where too much oil is bad. Any thoughts, while I search this site more?
The thing is the synthetic will get just as dirty as conventional ATF. I think it's better err on the low side rather than overfill so stick to the recommended amount. I leave mine about an inch below the level progressives call for.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
It works fine. It's such a simple system, if you keep the oil changed, there's nothing to go wrong.
I agree to a point, now that I have serviced this assembly. Given you change fork oil every 2 years as the service manual suggests, or close to that, I would think the dirt collected in the TRAC will be cycled into the main body of the fork body. Meaning you'll clean most of that dirt, next change. Too much dirt collected in the TRAC; will it work? The oil passages in this assembly are quite small.

I found almost as much dirt (black particles that sit at the bottom of the drained ATF), in the TRAC as in the bottom of the fork body. It only takes 4 Allen screws to clean this part. I suggest, next change clean the TRAC too!

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The thing is the synthetic will get just as dirty as conventional ATF. I think it's better err on the low side rather than overfill so stick to the recommended amount. I leave mine about an inch below the level progressives call for.
Agreed Dave, I merely believe synthetics have greater shelf life. Not sure, just opinion.

Dirt, or carbon from heat, collects mostly from usage and somewhat during storage, but much less so. When I only put 1500 miles on my GL1200 per year, and other miles on my GPz900 or my R-bike or my K-bike, its not like I'm servicing ONE vehicle that get 20K miles of punishment per year.

I believe one advantage of synthetics, is you can go longer between changes. For years, I thought synthetics were nonsense. I drive mostly old cars and bikes, that were designed to use petroleum based products. Why pay 4x for oil, if you are going to change it 2-3 times per year. Why? Don't - it makes absolutely no sense.

Like so many for-sale ads; "Changed oil every 2-3K miles with Mobil-1." If you use a superior oil, why do you change it so often? When I drive a car 20K miles per year, I change oil often and use what the manufacturer calls for.

I will likely leave this AMSOIL Synthetic ATF in my GL for 6 years. I'll bet it looks pretty good when I drain it next time, because of how anal I cleaned the forks!

(Job 99% done. I’ll take it for a ride tomorrow and then park it the other direction for the new rear tire!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B3998810-5AD8-4ADE-BE07-1138F7E75800_1556167227932.jpg (118.0 KB, 5 views)

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:03 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:

I believe one advantage of synthetics, is you can go longer between changes. For years, I thought synthetics were nonsense. I drive mostly old cars and bikes, that were designed to use petroleum based products. Why pay 4x for oil, if you are going to change it 2-3 times per year. Why? Don't - it makes absolutely no sense.

Like so many for-sale ads; "Changed oil every 2-3K miles with Mobil-1." If you use a superior oil, why do you change it so often? When I drive a car 20K miles per year, I change oil often and use what the manufacturer calls for.

I change the oil in our car once a year using pure synthetic, it is a 2007 and has always had the oil changed annually since it was new.

Once while the wife was very sick and we lived in hospitals more than at home, I forgot the car's oil change. the car was making round trips to the hospitals everyday, my daughter and I took turns baby sitting my wife 24 hrs 7 days for nine months.

when I remember the oil needed to be changed, I was appalled that it had almost 16,000 miles on it.

Turns out that is not as sacrilegious as I thought it would be. The oil check 'tech' typed in 5w30, it was 5w20 as spec'd by GM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil report Comments.jpg (39.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Report 1.jpg (94.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: png Oil Report 2.png (33.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Vibe Oil Chg 58030 miles.jpg (34.9 KB, 4 views)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
I change the oil in our car once a year using pure synthetic, it is a 2007 and has always had the oil changed annually since it was new.

Once while the wife was very sick and we lived in hospitals more than at home, I forgot the car's oil change. the car was making round trips to the hospitals everyday, my daughter and I took turns baby sitting my wife 24 hrs 7 days for nine months.

when I remember the oil needed to be changed, I was appalled that it had almost 16,000 miles on it.

Turns out that is not as sacrilegious as I thought it would be. The oil check 'tech' typed in 5w30, it was 5w20 as spec'd by GM.
I has amazed me at times, when changing oil on an old bike or car I just bought and the oil comes out very nasty, BUT later when pouring it out of the pan and into the container for recycling I notice how sticky the oil still is. It's dirty, but still protecting the moving parts. Best of health to your wife and family. JD

Thanks, JD
1984 Goldwing Standard
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
BUT later when pouring it out of the pan and into the container for recycling I notice how sticky the oil still is. It's dirty, but still protecting the moving parts. Best of health to your wife and family. JD
Engine oil has three functions. To lubricate, (duh). But also to carry away heat from friction. It is also designed to suspend solids. Just because it's slippery doesn't mean it's protecting. Synthetics are great, but they need to be used correctly. The oil make last a long time, but it still needs to be filtered. Synthetic once a year. Oil filter twice.
AZgl1800 likes this.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
Engine oil has three functions. To lubricate, (duh). But also to carry away heat from friction. It is also designed to suspend solids. Just because it's slippery doesn't mean it's protecting. Synthetics are great, but they need to be used correctly. The oil make last a long time, but it still needs to be filtered. Synthetic once a year. Oil filter twice.

on the Pontiac Vibe, you have to either have a lift, or a basement ramp like in the Jiffy Lubes. the oil filter is covered up with a big plastic shield full width of the car.

a couple days ago, we got to hearing a dragging noise under the car.
I laid down and looked, and low and behold, all of the metal bolts had been removed from that shield and it was now dragging on the ground.

when I saw how easy it was going to be for me to do my own oil changes now, I took the 3 remaining bolts out of the left side, and threw that shield away.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page