Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   What might I expect? (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667059-what-might-i-expect.html)

odinjunior 04-21-2019 12:42 PM

What might I expect?

I picked up this '98 GW sidecar rig. The PO said he did not look at the tires in his 5 years of ownership. I knew it would need tires as the tread was thin.

Low and behold when I got it home and looked for the date code I see (2405).

So here's the question. Since I am going to assume that the wheels have not been off in the 14 years of the tires life what can I expect to replace when I get the wheels off?

Bike has only 40K on the odometer.

https://i.ibb.co/QDJdkSf/98-GW-and-Sidecar-002.jpg

jlaframboise 04-21-2019 02:57 PM

Get some good moly paste for the final drive splines. Honda has M77 but you can use any paste that has at least 60% molybdenum in it. You do not want to use grease here. This is a good time to put nickel 90 degree valve stems on and clean/polish the wheel. Take a peek at your shock bushings also. Take a gander up at your rear fender and see if there is any rubbing taking place. This will tell you if you need to replace or stiffen your shocks. And last but not least, check the brake pads. I'm assuming you were going to replace all the fluids and filters so I shant mention it.

DenverWinger 04-21-2019 03:00 PM

Might be a good time to consider timing belts, too.

Bike...and Dennis 04-21-2019 03:01 PM

Things may be a little dry but I doubt they put enough miles on it to damage anything.

odinjunior 04-21-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaframboise (Post 5837031)
Get some good moly paste for the final drive splines. Honda has M77 but you can use any paste that has at least 60% molybdenum in it. You do not want to use grease here. This is a good time to put nickel 90 degree valve stems on and clean/polish the wheel. Take a peek at your shock bushings also. Take a gander up at your rear fender and see if there is any rubbing taking place. This will tell you if you need to replace or stiffen your shocks. And last but not least, check the brake pads. I'm assuming you were going to replace all the fluids and filters so I shant mention it.

Good idea on the shock bushings. I still have the tube of Honda Moly paste that I bought when I got my Valkyrie in '99.

What else does this GW have in common with my Valk IS? 3 O-Rings? Dampers in the rear wheel?
Honda says check Timing belts at 100K. I changed the belts on my IS at 73K and they looked like new.

Finally who is the best for online parts ordering?

Bike...and Dennis 04-21-2019 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinjunior (Post 5837045)
Finally who is the best for online parts ordering?

Western Honda will save you shipping and it's not a bad drive over there to pick up the parts.

Down 101 or 303 to the 10 and over. Half hour each way if you do it mid day.

DaveO430 04-21-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odinjunior (Post 5837045)
Honda says check Timing belts at 100K. I changed the belts on my IS at 73K and they looked like new.

That's fine if you want to gamble your engine on 21 year old belts. You're not taking that chance with the tires.

chilidawg 04-21-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5837061)
That's fine if you want to gamble your engine on 21 year old belts. You're not taking that chance with the tires.

Why did I expect a response just like that?

It's always a good idea to change out your belts! :|

Sprocketrocket55 04-24-2019 03:44 AM

I found Gates belts for my 1200 $15 compared to $100 from Honda

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

joe in calif 04-24-2019 09:46 AM

Just about everyone that changes the belts say they look fine, but rubber deteriorate, they may look fine but they really are not fine.