Water pump cover questions - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
Here's photos. Acetone did not touch the stuff on the bike side. I think the cover side is clean now. I'd rather use a chemical remover instead of a mechanical remover so as not to "deform" the bike side mating surface. Can anyone recommend a product?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2684.jpg (134.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2683.jpg (79.1 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Yeah, they used some sort of sealer. It will probably come off with steel wool.

Fill the hole with paper towels, or something, so unwanted bits don't get into the water pumps realm. Probably should do that if you use the glass & sandpaper method, too.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
Thanks a bunch guys. I happened to have a flat sharpening stone and went to work on the deposits on the bike side and the cover piece. I could not get rid of the discoloration but I am satisfied with the smoothness of the surface. Like a baby's azz. Perhaps the discoloration is more like a stain? In any event, I filled the rad and started it up. I prayed the fan would eventually start.....and it did. Buttoned everything up and so far no leaks after a 20 minute idle. This was the first start since putting it away last fall. Smoked like he!! for a while (from putting a Tbsp oil in each cylinder last fall). Road test tomorrow. Again, thanks guys!!
tamathumper likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page