Water pump cover questions - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1983 Goldwing Interstate
Water pump cover questions

When I removed the cover, it appears as if the last mechanic that touched this used some sort of sealer at this connection. The O-Ring seemed flat (I suspect he did not use a new one) and the "packing material" was kind of brittle. I could flake off little bits here and there. I doubt it was vaseline since there was nothing "wet". Totally dried. I was able to get the old ring out but the channel was filled with this hard brittle stuff. I was able to scrape most of it away.

The pump side of the connection still appears to have some sort of residue on the mating surface. Any opinions on how to remove it. Someone suggested acetone or nail polish remover. I ordered a new O-Ring to use when I re-attach the water pump cover.

Upon reassembly, any opinions on what to use as a lubricant? Should I also use some sort of sealant?

1983 Goldwing Interstate. I'm the original owner. Many years ago, I had the timing belts changed. That was the last mechanic that touched this bike. I can't believe the factory would have assembled the 2 parts that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:52 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
John,
Why not snap a few pictures and post them so the guys can see what you are up against. If you do not have enough posts to put up the pictures send a PM to https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...=newpm&u=90947 and he can fix you p to post the pictures.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:10 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Clean the surface with sandpaper on a stiff block or something so it stays flat. No lubricant or sealant is needed with a new o-ring.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:07 AM

Year: 2003
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800A
Garage
Drummers trick: You can contact cement a piece of sandpaper to a plate of glass or a new piece of MDF to get a super flat sanding surface. Then move the piece over the paper, instead of the other way around.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamathumper View Post
Drummers trick: You can contact cement a piece of sandpaper to a plate of glass or a new piece of MDF to get a super flat sanding surface. Then move the piece over the paper, instead of the other way around.

Wow....... We used that technique (glass) about two years ago to resurface heads on a GL1500...! Works great.....!
limpy45 and tamathumper like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
What do drummers need to be that flat? Not the cymbals.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:49 AM

Garage
The heads on a drum are stretched over a "bearing edge".

A metal rim holds the head against that edge, and the more the rim is tightened down, the higher the pitch of the drum will be. But because there are 6, 8 or more lugs that must be tensioned around the circumference of the drum, each must be tightened the same amount to achieve a consistent tone.

If the bearing surface isn't flat all the way around the drum, you'll have a harder time tuning the head and getting a consistent sound. So a drum "shell" is made, and then each bearing edge is "surfaced" to ensure it's as flat as possible.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2014/1...bearing-edges/

Snare drums have a depression in the bottom bearing edge that allows the snare elements to pass over or through the bearing edge and across the thin head on the bottom, but they're designed so that the "dip" is centered between lugs, and the snare elements deaden the "ring" of the bottom head of a snare drum in any event, so the effect on tone is minimized.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
The heads on a drum are stretched over a "bearing edge".

A metal rim holds the head against that edge, and the more the rim is tightened down, the higher the pitch of the drum will be. But because there are 6, 8 or more lugs that must be tensioned around the circumference of the drum, each must be tightened the same amount to achieve a consistent tone.

If the bearing surface isn't flat all the way around the drum, you'll have a harder time tuning the head and getting a consistent sound. So a drum "shell" is made, and then each bearing edge is "surfaced" to ensure it's as flat as possible.

https://www.moderndrummer.com/2014/1...bearing-edges/

Snare drums have a depression in the bottom bearing edge that allows the snare elements to pass over or through the bearing edge and across the thin head on the bottom, but they're designed so that the "dip" is centered between lugs, and the snare elements deaden the "ring" of the bottom head of a snare drum in any event, so the effect on tone is minimized.
I'll be. So it's not just a piece of rubber stretched over a cut off barrel????

Mike

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:29 PM

Garage
It could be if modern music is any indication.
DenverWinger likes this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:50 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
"Modern" music is all created on a phone, by a phone ap. No instruments, talent or musical knowledge required.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page