2002 GL18 Brake Drag - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By SMEDEN(=the blacksmith)
  • 1 Post By ALEX BERECZKY

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Model: current 2002 GL1800,1986 gl1200 Aspy. 2002 harley d ultra classic..
2002 GL18 Brake Drag

Well hello everyone! Its been a long while since I posted here. After 15yrs of riding I finally have a job that allows me to ride to work everyday. Many who know me know that I have taken a position with my company that allows this now and may I say IT'S WONDERFUL!! Now that the greeting is out of the way, on to business.

2002 gl1800, 149,000mi on the clock- constant brake noise. Pads are dragging most constantly, I can hear it at speed bouncing of the jersey barriers. I did a basic pad replacement at the first of the year. The noise has been there in excess of a year but appears to be getting worse. It is worth noting I can hear the "dragging noise" from front and rear. While performing an inspection the other night i noticed I can not achieve a full, free rotation from the front wheel while on the center stand. Fluid has never been changed to my knowledge and rotors are grooved.

On my agenda is:
-Caliper rebuild
-Rotor replacement
-fluid flush and fill
-MC rebuild

I am struggling to find a "1 stop shop for all the parts" and suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:02 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theliverkid View Post
Well hello everyone! Its been a long while since I posted here. After 15yrs of riding I finally have a job that allows me to ride to work everyday. Many who know me know that I have taken a position with my company that allows this now and may I say IT'S WONDERFUL!! Now that the greeting is out of the way, on to business.

2002 gl1800, 149,000mi on the clock- constant brake noise. Pads are dragging most constantly, I can hear it at speed bouncing of the jersey barriers. I did a basic pad replacement at the first of the year. The noise has been there in excess of a year but appears to be getting worse. It is worth noting I can hear the "dragging noise" from front and rear. While performing an inspection the other night i noticed I can not achieve a full, free rotation from the front wheel while on the center stand. Fluid has never been changed to my knowledge and rotors are grooved.

On my agenda is:
-Caliper rebuild
-Rotor replacement
-fluid flush and fill
-MC rebuild

I am struggling to find a "1 stop shop for all the parts" and suggestions or help would be appreciated.
I think what you have listed as "work to do" might well fix the issue. Make sure all the rattle clips are there and in good shape. Also make sure the calipers float and are not stuck in one position. If there is an issue with the calper pistons you will notice that when you push the piston back in. Given all that I bet the bike will be nice and quiet again.

FYI, it is a good idea to open the bleeder screw and then push the pistons in. Better than pushing that old rusty fluid back in the system. Especially if it has ABS.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:46 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
If the rotors are grooved, I hope you haven't worn through the pads. The symptoms kind of indicate you might have.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1000 1975 K1+GL1800 2006 airbag(US-model)+NRX1800 Rune 2004
Garage
Be aware.
There is a recall for all 1800 where Honda gives you a new rear master cylinder and a new secondary master cylinder(located on the left front fork) and a complete fluss on the pedal operated system for FREE.(IF your rear caliper have been dragging the MAY even give you an new rear rotor).
Eaysier and cheaper than an rebuild on these parts !
Talk to your Honda dealer (he needs your WIN).

The winner is the man with most tools !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:09 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by theliverkid View Post
...2002 gl1800, 149,000mi...
On my agenda is:
-Caliper rebuild
-Rotor replacement
-fluid flush and fill
-MC rebuild

No obvious need to rebuild the Brake Caliber[/s] or (MC)Master Cylinders, or replace the rotors... Just Flush and check Pad Thickness, and Clean the Caliper Parts (especially the slide pins)

My concern it that it's never had the fluids changed... That's not good, as the brake/clutch fluid should be changed ever 2yrs.
I'd add a Service of the Clutch Slave Cylinder to your list... as it's probably gunked up by now, due to water in the lines.
theliverkid likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Picked up a fresh bottle of 4, a mighty vac, and some caliper grease
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Make sure the calipers are floating free. They should move slightly when you push them side to side. The caliper bolts may be corroded. Remove and clean them and they apply a film of brake grease. If the are too bad, replace them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

So Out of curiosity and for fun I thought I would do a run out on each rotor to see where the main issue might be lying. Took a video of each side, incase anyone ever needed an idea of how to do this. Truth be told, the unit of measurement was not critical to me so much as identifying any possible warpage.

This first link is of the driver side rotor. Not near as bad as I expected but still not to my standards either. Now keep in mind I am measuring in .0001" . With that said I will be replacing this rotor.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kl...CISFiCc4CPAPft

This next link is of the Passenger side. As you can tell there is a definite warpage on this rotor.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pR...XXklJQ0Mb_JXMz

With these findings, I want to rule out wheel bearings as well. So new rotors, Cleaning, flush, and lubing calipers and brake system, wheel bearings, new pads even though the are new.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page