Rear drive clicking at slow speed. After changing tire '89 GL1500 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:02 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve60usa View Post
I did lube the splines where the hub with the pins mate with the splines on the final drive. When it is cool, it doesnít make noise. After a few miles, I can hear it when I am going super slow. I donít hear anything at faster speeds. I guess I have to pull the rear wheel again. As you all know, it isnít a picnic doing that. I use the method where you pivot the hitch and all the trunks up out of the way. I used the stethoscope with it on the center stand and in gear running and it isnít the brakes. It also isnít as noticeable unless you are riding it.
How about this CAREFULLY. Put the bike on the centerstand while it is acting up. Start the engine and duplicate the speed just spinning the wheel. Does it make noise freewheeling like that? Apply some load by applying brake. Does it click then? That brings up another question. Driving down the road with the bike clicking apply slight brake. Does it stop clicking when you apply brake. Apply brake and use some throttle to overcome the brake. Any better. Don't overlook what gl mentioned. If the final drive is not entered it might click where the spline meets. That is any easy try. Loosen 4 bolts a few turns and sping the wheel or start the engine to spin the wheel. Tighten back up. Like Dave B says, Easy stuff first.
DBohrer likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:44 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I've heard wheel bearings "click".

And they would probably stay quiet until the grease warms up a bit.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
How many miles on the bike?

At around 100k the Rubber Dampeners (inside the rear hub) wear out, which leads to Slop between the mating Aluminum Blocks (which themselves wear out too)... Could be that slop results in noise, as the drive-line oscillates between the ends of that new big mating gap in parts.

John J likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

It has 71000 miles on it. I am definitely going to try to loosen the bolts where the rear drive bolts to the swing arm. If that has the ability to rotate a little, bring out of alignment would be the noise I am hearing. When I spin the rear wheel by hand, it is quiet and smooth.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
At 71,000 miles rubber dampers are not the issue...............!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 02:23 PM

Model: Slightly less than before.
goldwing

Since no one has mentioned it, have you checked for rocks or a nail head in your tire?

Rayjoe

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:27 PM

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICK MACK View Post
which driveshaft splines? the ones in the U joint or the ones on the Final Drive? the pins? cant see how they would click? they are a pretty solid fit in their holes and the pins are chrome plated and have to be HARD . I took mine apart and they were dry dry dry with rust in the holes. never enough time to do it right the FIRST TIME.... but ALWAYS time to do IT AGAIN . when everything is done... there is ALWAYS ONE MORE THING TO DO.
In the final drive at the opposite end of the drive shaft from universals- replaced several final drives of friends bikes due to lack of lubrication over an extended period of time... Last one I did required drive shaft and rear end replacement due to excessive wear... Honda's Moly Paste will work fine back there... I would lube it at every tire change or at least every other tire change on a 1500...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page