Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Rear drive clicking at slow speed. After changing tire '89 GL1500 (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667089-rear-drive-clicking-slow-speed-after-changing-tire-89-gl1500.html)

steve60usa 04-24-2019 07:01 PM

Rear drive clicking at slow speed. After changing tire '89 GL1500

What do people use in place of Honda molly 60? I used molly mixed with super sticky Wurth German grease and I think my drive pins are clicking on my 89 GL1500

DBohrer 04-24-2019 07:56 PM

Just to state what Honda recommends............

The 1988 - 1989 Honda Service Manual recommends using "Multipurpose" grease on the drive pins, drive shaft and pinion splines.

The later year manuals recommend Moly 60 or equivalent.

Are you sure its the drive pins doing the clicking....and ...not something else misaligned causing the clicking....??

OnaWingAndaPrayer 04-24-2019 08:52 PM

I'd maybe have a look about the rear brakes. I dont really see why the pins would click.

redwing52 04-24-2019 11:23 PM

Did you use lubricant on the final drive flange spline? That is the flange that has the pins attached. If you do not lube the spline that goes in to the final drive it will click for sure. I had that exact issue right down to the slow speed only. :)

glhonda 04-25-2019 01:26 AM

Loosen and re-tighten the bolts that hold the final drive to the swing arm.

redwing52 04-25-2019 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glhonda (Post 5837649)
Loosen and re-tighten the bolts that hold the final drive to the swing arm.

AS\s said. Also while it is loose it might help if you spin the rear wheel to help it center up if that is the issue. Especially if the click is like 4 times faster than the wheel is turning. Good thought GL. :)

glhonda 04-25-2019 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwing52 (Post 5837651)
Good thought GL. :)

It's not GL. It's gl. GL was my Dad....... :ROFL:

steve60usa 04-25-2019 07:58 PM

I did lube the splines where the hub with the pins mate with the splines on the final drive. When it is cool, it doesn’t make noise. After a few miles, I can hear it when I am going super slow. I don’t hear anything at faster speeds. I guess I have to pull the rear wheel again. As you all know, it isn’t a picnic doing that. I use the method where you pivot the hitch and all the trunks up out of the way. I used the stethoscope with it on the center stand and in gear running and it isn’t the brakes. It also isn’t as noticeable unless you are riding it.

dadztoy 04-25-2019 09:08 PM

Sure sounds to me like the driveshaft splines need lube - have heard that sound before on many a 1500...

MICK MACK 04-25-2019 10:09 PM

which driveshaft splines? the ones in the U joint or the ones on the Final Drive? the pins? cant see how they would click? they are a pretty solid fit in their holes and the pins are chrome plated and have to be HARD . I took mine apart and they were dry dry dry with rust in the holes. never enough time to do it right the FIRST TIME.... but ALWAYS time to do IT AGAIN . when everything is done... there is ALWAYS ONE MORE THING TO DO.