LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 SEi
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post
Have to ask. How did you adjust the idle. Did you use the idle screw that is on the throttle linkage midway between the right left cylinder bank, or the screw under the CFI cover on the right cylinder bank?

Looked at the YouTube and the engine does sound good. Noticed you have the dash on the oil temp/pressure settings as well. I'd bring the idle closer to 1000.

Cheers
Way up in the middle there’s a large flathead adjustment screw. It is the typical location for idle speed adjustment on carb’d models as well. I will bring it up to 1000 +-50 today. It’s gotta have some gas since it’s nearly empty and I’ll adjust it while it’s warm. Thanks for the help everyone! I learned way more about this system now. I’ll be riding it down to meet someone today and I’ll probably post one more time the results of that ride.

Thanks!!

I got rid of my alluminum wings and picked up a Goldwing. Here to live once, die once and give Glory to God while doing it.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
78 Yami XS750 Special (Triple Special)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bad news... it’s back. When the fuel system light came on it indicated the TPS.

Still this though: https://youtu.be/Rv0T415Ljy8

I can’t wrap my head around why the injectors would be firing like this when the engine isn’t running.

I got rid of my alluminum wings and picked up a Goldwing. Here to live once, die once and give Glory to God while doing it.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLECRY24 View Post
Bad news... itís back. When the fuel system light came on it indicated the TPS.

Still this though: https://youtu.be/Rv0T415Ljy8

I canít wrap my head around why the injectors would be firing like this when the engine isnít running.
The injector click is part of an "onboard self test". Ignition on, open the throttle wide and close.
As far as the TPS code goes, it can be an open or short concern. The tps is also a major input to the control unit and affects injector pulse and duration. To eliminate the possibility of dirty connections, I suggest you start all measurements at the control unit to check the entire circuit. Got a book yet?

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:38 PM

Garage
The control unit sends out a five volt reference signal from pin 29 to the tps. It's just a rheostat. It's grounded at pin 3, along with several other components as well as the ecm ground. Since you have injector click by opening and closing the throttle, we can safely assume you have a complete circuit. The third wire goes back to the ecm at terminal eleven. This is the one you want to pay attention to. This is the return voltage from the tps and tells the ecm what position the throttle switch is in. Generally speaking, with the ignition on, and the throttle at rest, the return voltage should be @ one half volt. (point 5 volts). As the throttle is opened, the return voltage should rise to around 4 to 4.5 volts. It should be linear and SMOOTH with NO drop outs. What happens over the years, is the tps develops open areas that the ecm can't read. Since it doesn't know what the throttle position is, it can't deliver the correct amount of fuel. I suspect you have a bad spot or two in your tps. Possible water in the connection(s). Notice there are two screws that can be loosened to adjust the tps, but in your case, a simple adjustment won't help. Verify your results and check back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wires1.jpg (572.0 KB, 5 views)
DaveO430 likes this.

Libraries are full of stuff I don\'t know.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:

Ran down about an hour or so today and about halfway she started running rough again. I noticed the fuel economy was low at around 22 mpg at 80mph. I let her sit for a few hours then fueled er back up. She was spitting and cutting out like something fierce. Then otw back home just now about 40 mins into the ride it finally went into limp mode. I recorded the code before shutting er off for the night.

https://youtu.be/xVLqYFEGajg

I noticed the instant fuel economy jump up to 35 or so and she smoothed out again with an idle RPM of around 1200.

I plan to tackle the TPS connection and see if there’s a fault there and idk where else to go from there.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:01 AM

Model: 1985 Limited Edition GL1200
Budd, there are Greater Minds than mine helping you here but I do have a question? Do you still have the original 30amp dogbone fuses in this Beastie? If so bear in mind that they can crack and "Possibly" cause this... One is on the starter solenoid and the other is an inline fuse behind the starter solenoid... You might wanna check them just for grins and giggles....
AZgl1800 and DaveO430 like this.

Don

1985 Gl1200 Limited Edition
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoepc View Post
Budd, there are Greater Minds than mine helping you here but I do have a question? Do you still have the original 30amp dogbone fuses in this Beastie? If so bear in mind that they can crack and "Possibly" cause this... One is on the starter solenoid and the other is an inline fuse behind the starter solenoid... You might wanna check them just for grins and giggles....
Thanks for the info. I replaced those a while back with a different fuse setup.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
The control unit sends out a five volt reference signal from pin 29 to the tps. It's just a rheostat. It's grounded at pin 3, along with several other components as well as the ecm ground. Since you have injector click by opening and closing the throttle, we can safely assume you have a complete circuit. The third wire goes back to the ecm at terminal eleven. This is the one you want to pay attention to. This is the return voltage from the tps and tells the ecm what position the throttle switch is in. Generally speaking, with the ignition on, and the throttle at rest, the return voltage should be @ one half volt. (point 5 volts). As the throttle is opened, the return voltage should rise to around 4 to 4.5 volts... Verify your results and check back.
Voltage into the sensor is 4.99 (with a non-calibrated voltmeter) measured at the connector. The sensor wire measured at the connector shows 4.5v with it disconnected. Should it measure anything at all at this point? The sensor wasn’t connected.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhonda View Post
The control unit sends out a five volt reference signal ... Generally speaking, with the ignition on, and the throttle at rest, the return voltage should be @ one half volt. (point 5 volts). As the throttle is opened, the return voltage should rise to around 4 to 4.5 volts. It should be linear and SMOOTH with NO drop outs. What happens over the years, is the tps develops open areas that the ecm can't read. Since it doesn't know what the throttle position is, it can't deliver the correct amount of fuel. I suspect you have a bad spot or two in your tps. Possible water in the connection(s). Notice there are two screws that can be loosened to adjust the tps, but in your case, a simple adjustment won't help. Verify your results and check back.
Throttle rest is measured at 1.06v and full throttle is measured at 4.28v.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don’t see any way to adjust the TPS. I did find water in the cover... I’ll investigate more. See picture and video.

https://youtu.be/gv2ninXGIog

There’s that Click again. Un-commanded. I monitored the voltage of the TPS output and saw it jumped from 0.48 to 0.7. The resolution of the multimeter doesn’t allow for very quick changes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6F274EE0-BCD8-476D-B497-BED00D0971A8_1556647417430.jpg (89.6 KB, 10 views)

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page