LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 SEi
Garage
86 SEI Running rough suddenly

Greetings gents,

Had bike down for a bit (6 months) due to time and other mechanical parts change (back wheel etc...)

Bike starts up no problem cold. After it warms up, it runs like poop. Sometimes I can hear the injectors clicking like crazy after it dies.

No fault codes...

Also, after it warms up ( I cleaned the injectors by running Seafoam through the vacuum lines to the injectors). Unplugging the vacuum line (or lines) while warm does not change the RPM. I’ve had to turn up the idle quite a bit to keep it running. I’ve tried the ol intake leak trick by spraying starting fluid around the boots and vacuum lines but I get no rpm change. I’m at a loss. Unless the injectors are clogged causing erroneous mixtures anyway.

https://youtu.be/Rv0T415Ljy8

I got rid of my alluminum wings and picked up a Goldwing. Here to live once, die once and give Glory to God while doing it.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
78 Yami XS750 Special (Triple Special)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 PM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLECRY24 View Post
Greetings gents,

Had bike down for a bit (6 months) due to time and other mechanical parts change (back wheel etc...)

Bike starts up no problem cold. After it warms up, it runs like poop. Sometimes I can hear the injectors clicking like crazy after it dies.

No fault codes...

Also, after it warms up ( I cleaned the injectors by running Seafoam through the vacuum lines to the injectors). Unplugging the vacuum line (or lines) while warm does not change the RPM. Iíve had to turn up the idle quite a bit to keep it running. Iíve tried the ol intake leak trick by spraying starting fluid around the boots and vacuum lines but I get no rpm change. Iím at a loss. Unless the injectors are clogged causing erroneous mixtures anyway.

https://youtu.be/Rv0T415Ljy8
Have an '85 Limited that I have been refurbishing for three and 1/2 years now, do work then ride, repeat as necessary. Once these FI bikes are working well, great bikes.

First thing I would do is set the idle and calibrate the TPS. Next I would suggest balancing the right/left cylinder banks. The idle will be affected so it's a dual calibration.

The vacuum lines go from each cylinder bank up to the PB sensors (MAP). I would put a vacuum gauge on each side and check the vacuum. If the system is working correctly you will draw a good vacuum. The reed valves work quite well and draw a lot of air from the idle air control system for cold starts, and to provide a source of air for the cylinders when the throttle is shut fully such as when decelerating.

If you disconnect one PB sensor vacuum line at a time, there will be no change in the engine operation. Disconnect both at the same time and there will be an issue. The ECU uses the PB sensor signal to assist in engine idle and engine performance below approximately 3000 RPM.

If you don't have the service manuals for your bike, would recommend getting a copy.

Troubleshooting these older FI bikes without the manuals is not an easy task.

No error codes is good. The injectors on these FI bikes are quite robust. Had mine cleaned and flow tested a while back, before cleaning flowed at 64 CC/min, after cleaning 66 cc/min. Shouldn't need to run seafoam or other products through the injectors.

The fuel system light, if it comes on is the equivalent of a check engine light. Had this light come on on another '85 LTD that I put on the road and have subsequently sold. Thought it was the fuel system, but there is nothing on the fuel system to trigger this warning light. Did some other tests such as leaving the air temp sensor disconnected, and took the TPS out of calibration, fuel system light came on.

Best of luck. Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 10:19 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
( I cleaned the injectors by running Seafoam through the vacuum lines to the injectors).
You cannot clean injectors through the vacuum lines, cleaner has to be pumped through them under pressure.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Quote:
( I cleaned the injectors by running Seafoam through the vacuum lines to the injectors).
You cannot clean injectors through the vacuum lines, cleaner has to be pumped through them under pressure.
You are correct sir. I was under the impression that the vacuum check lines provided air to the injectors for a better atomization (Too old of a system for that).

Seems to run worse with increased oil temperatures/higher overall engine temps. (Operating temp).

I got rid of my alluminum wings and picked up a Goldwing. Here to live once, die once and give Glory to God while doing it.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednaxs60 View Post

Have an '85 Limited that I have been refurbishing for three and 1/2 years now, do work then ride, repeat as necessary. Once these FI bikes are working well, great bikes.

First thing I would do is set the idle and calibrate the TPS. Next I would suggest balancing the right/left cylinder banks. The idle will be affected so it's a dual calibration.

The vacuum lines go from each cylinder bank up to the PB sensors (MAP). I would put a vacuum gauge on each side and check the vacuum. If the system is working correctly you will draw a good vacuum. The reed valves work quite well and draw a lot of air from the idle air control system for cold starts, and to provide a source of air for the cylinders when the throttle is shut fully such as when decelerating.

If you disconnect one PB sensor vacuum line at a time, there will be no change in the engine operation. Disconnect both at the same time and there will be an issue. The ECU uses the PB sensor signal to assist in engine idle and engine performance below approximately 3000 RPM.

If you don't have the service manuals for your bike, would recommend getting a copy.

Troubleshooting these older FI bikes without the manuals is not an easy task.

No error codes is good. The injectors on these FI bikes are quite robust. Had mine cleaned and flow tested a while back, before cleaning flowed at 64 CC/min, after cleaning 66 cc/min. Shouldn't need to run seafoam or other products through the injectors.

The fuel system light, if it comes on is the equivalent of a check engine light. Had this light come on on another '85 LTD that I put on the road and have subsequently sold. Thought it was the fuel system, but there is nothing on the fuel system to trigger this warning light. Did some other tests such as leaving the air temp sensor disconnected, and took the TPS out of calibration, fuel system light came on.

Best of luck. Cheers
I don’t have a service manual besides the Haynes manual from amazon.

I don’t know where the TPS is. I looked for it.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 11:53 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
You are correct sir. I was under the impression that the vacuum check lines provided air to the injectors for a better atomization (Too old of a system for that).

Seems to run worse with increased oil temperatures/higher overall engine temps. (Operating temp).

sent you a PM ref a manual for that bike

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:02 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Have you checked for mouse infestation?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Have you checked for mouse infestation?
Affirmative. No mouse or even signs of mouse...

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 AM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
I think Dennis made a comment a while back regarding these FI bikes in that he wouldn't put fuel in one without having the manuals - good advice. PM sent.

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So, I did a ride this morning to troubleshoot. It was running horribly rough (like a vacuum line is open on both sides). And she was smoking like something fierce.

After a mile or so the “Fuel System” light came on and the idle came up to 1800 or so and it ran wayyy better. I’d love to understand more on how this system works. Of course after turning the bike off and back on again clears the message and the idle drops back down to around 800 rpm and running rough sometimes dieing and starting back up.

Budd

87 GL1200A
83 Kawi 750K (Twin)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page