DCT bikes loosing power when stopped and idling - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
DCT bikes loosing power when stopped and idling

just read of this, and member 'GLRT' buys crashed insurance bikes.

he states this is a very serious problem....

anyone else noticed this?

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt...297749#p297749

Quote:
by GLRT Wed May 01, 2019 12:03 pm You have a point there as I watch the insurance actions and purchase mildly crashed bikes. I am seeing an over abundance of brand new DCT models in the crash dept and was wondering what is so unique about this model in regards to crashes over prior models.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Magic Moderator

Model: No more Wings, Gold or Silver
Garage
I'm thinking a problem with the programing. It doesn't happen with the manual transmission model from what I've read.
I wonder if there's a data recorder in the ECM, that would store the moment the bike stalled, didn't restart and was impacted?

Retired trike builder.
I dislike Spam, too much sodium.

Last edited by trike lady; 05-01-2019 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added thought
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:50 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Sure sounds like low voltage to me. I wonder if the starter/generator puts out enough charge when at a stop. Maybe the manual trans models idle a little higher.
rayjoe likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:24 AM
Magic Moderator

Garage
They need to swap the ECM and put a new one in and see if it does the same thing. If the flashing lights and unexpected stop do not occur again then the fault is in the program and there may be some 2018 with a bad program.
I may have found something, there are two what they call SMART units my guess a fancy ECM one has part number 35500-MKC-A01 and there is one with number 35500-MKC-A02 now is this second one a revision? They have crossed out the A01:
https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oem...a01/smart-unit

Retired trike builder.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Model: Slightly less than before.
goldwing

No offense John, but this sounds like B.S..

There has been no mention of this on the other forums I frequent.

Before the 2018s were released for sale I made a JOKE about the older bikes being faster because the 2018s have a speed limiter. The very next post claimed the 2018s had a handling problem above 118 mph. This went on for 75+ posts. All because I made a joke!

Some people can't wait to bash a new product. And remember, people rarely post to say my bike is running perfect. It's always about a problem, real or perceived.

Rayjoe
flylow likes this.

I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking about making a few more.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Joe,

that is why I posted this up, and asked IF it is a real problem.

everyone on Facebook that owns a DCT has nothing but praise for it, except a very few that can't adjust to the physics of their frame size versus the bike size.

I have never heard of that GLRT fellow, do not know him, nor if he is speaking sideways ?? he might be as straight as an arrow, but I don't know him.
rayjoe likes this.

~ John

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
There could be another odd issue with the key fob battery and if it is going low, does it make the SMART unit do strange things? Remember this isn't a 'Normal' Goldwing like we're familiar with. The key fob has an on/off switch and if you leave it on the battery goes low as it constantly communicates with the SMART unit. There's an indicator on the dash that warns you of low battery.

Retired trike builder.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Year: 2018, 2015, 2008
Make: Honda, Harley, Honda
Model: GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by trike lady View Post
There could be another odd issue with the key fob battery and if it is going low, does it make the SMART unit do strange things? Remember this isn't a 'Normal' Goldwing like we're familiar with. The key fob has an on/off switch and if you leave it on the battery goes low as it constantly communicates with the SMART unit. There's an indicator on the dash that warns you of low battery.
If I remember correctly from the manual, the fob is only needed to turn the bike on initially and then to open the bags. As long as the ignition is on, the bike doesnt need the fob to run. A low fob battery would only result in issues with opening the bags or starting the bike from off.
trike lady likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:30 PM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Three of my riding buddies have 2018's and no one is reporting any issues at all... Nothing but praise for the DCT coming from them FWIW...
AZgl1800 likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Magic Moderator

Garage
Maybe we can call this an isolated problem and/or the bike doesn't like the owner.

Retired trike builder.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page