Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   How to use an Oscilloscope and why (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667203-how-use-oscilloscope-why.html)

AZgl1800 05-03-2019 04:54 PM

How to use an Oscilloscope and why

1 Attachment(s)
This is a technical document from Rohde and Schwarz
59 pages of reading....

they start out soft, and then they dig deeper.

I have seen a few folks asking how to use a 'scope, and others asking "why is it necessary" or how is it advantageous.

this document covers all of that....

chilidawg 05-03-2019 10:15 PM

I just checked these things on Amazon and while $5K may be an important add on to you guys that have just bought a brand new Goldwing, and, in actual fact it's only about 25% of what I got in my GL1100 right now, the vast majority of us will just ignore it. 'Cos, we really don't need it.

DaveO430 05-03-2019 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chilidawg (Post 5839351)
I just checked these things on Amazon and while $5K may be an important add on to you guys that have just bought a brand new Goldwing, and, in actual fact it's only about 25% of what I got in my GL1100 right now, the vast majority of us will just ignore it. 'Cos, we really don't need it.

I have had use for one but have gotten along without one for a long time.

BLUTHUNDR31 05-03-2019 10:56 PM

I've got a Tecktronix TM503 that is a great little 20lb unit with a carrying handle that I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to work!!! I had intended to use it to help diagnose tachometer problems on my 1500 but, the tach began working flawlessly all by itself.

I have no use for it but if anyone has a "need" for one, , , its yours.

RambozoClown 05-04-2019 01:55 AM

There are plenty of small digital scopes for cheap. Not to mention software that will let you use the audio in on a computer for some basic scope measurements. Also plenty of used CRT scopes at give away prices.
For a modern digital storage scope at a good price, have a look at the Rigol DS1054Z. A nice 4 channel scope you can find new for $300 on sale. A nice set of features and with some software mods you can find online, you can add a bunch of extra features. I've had one for a number of years and it still performs flawlessly. It seems like every electronics Youtuber and his brother have one of these on their bench, too.

dadztoy 05-04-2019 02:56 AM

Still have my old reliable CRT Hitachi Dual Trace machine... Still serves me well for all I do now...

DenverWinger 05-04-2019 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a Tektronix 465B 100MHz Dual-trace scope I've had since the '80s - Considered an "industry Standard" back then.

I haven't had the heart to get rid of it, but it doesn't take up that much space in the attic, and when you need it, you NEED it. Had to use it a couple times to troubleshoot fuel injection on GF's 1999 Grand Prix. Car was running bad, OBD codes said MAF sensor. Got a new one, car still running bad. Get the 'scope out of the attic - Sure enough, new sensor out of the box was bad, too!

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...hmentid=304691

DenverWinger 05-04-2019 07:32 AM

Notes on oscilloscope display measuring MAF sensor:

There's a three terminal connector to the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor on the '99 Pontiac, +5v, Signal and Ground. Connect scope to "Signal" and "Ground".
The MAF measures the amount of air flowing thru the intake plenum after the throttle body.
With the engine idling (air flow is minimum) the signal output from the MAF is supposed to be a nice 5v Square Wave at a relatively low frequency.
As you slowly rev up the engine the square waves smoothly increase in frequency (get closer and closer together on the 'scope display) directly corresponding to the amount of air flowing thru the plenum.
The ECU uses this information along with many other sensors to determine how much fuel to inject.
If you punch the throttle, the scope display will show the square waves tighten right up in a high frequency burst corresponding to the big inrush of air when you blip the throttle.

The bad MAF I was testing showed a very unstable square wave (random square wave pulses at random frequencies) which bore no relationship to the air flow thru the plenum.

This confused the **** out of the ECU and the car ran so bad it wouldn't idle, and spit/sputtered going down the road. We disconnected the MAF and the car ran much better - that put the ECU in a fail-safe mode and it relied on the inputs from the remaining sensors. So we were able to drive back to auto parts and exchange the bad sensor. I changed out the sensor right there in the parking lot so I'd know it was good before leaving....

Rickf1985 05-04-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLUTHUNDR31 (Post 5839365)
I've got a Tecktronix TM503 that is a great little 20lb unit with a carrying handle that I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to work!!! I had intended to use it to help diagnose tachometer problems on my 1500 but, the tach began working flawlessly all by itself.

I have no use for it but if anyone has a "need" for one, , , its yours.

I have been looking for a scope for years for odd projects, both automotive and electronic. If you want to get rid of it I would love to have it.

DenverWinger 05-04-2019 08:08 AM

Check this out:

Only 200KHz bandwidth, but it's only 32 bucks. You can do a lot with 200KHz....