Left Heated Grip Coming On HOT! - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2001
Make: Honda GL1800
Model: GL1800/GL1000
Left Heated Grip Coming On HOT!

I have a 2001 GL1800 and I noticed the left heated grip coming on yesterday on a 60 degree plus day. At first I thought it was just my imagination but soon the grip got very hot and stayed that way for awhile. It finally went off, I'm assuming it must have an overheat feature that shuts it down.

The right grip didn't come on at all. I recycled the grip heat switch 2-3 times Off and On but it didn't seem to do anything. The grip switch is mounted on the right sub panel but I'm not sure if it is an OEM or an aftermarket grip. I'm the second owner of the bike, 25,000 miles, and I've never noticed this before and the grip(s) have never got that hot.

Any thoughts on what to look for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6297.jpg (67.1 KB, 10 views)

2001 GL1800
1977 GL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
That is a Honda accessory. I would guess there is a short somewhere, short to power or short to ground, no wiring diagram for those in the ETM.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Or maybe a bad switch.

OldRider, does the switch click from one position to the next (multi-contacts) or does slide smooth giving you infinite settings between off and max (rheostat)?

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool_IsCool View Post
Or maybe a bad switch.

OldRider, does the switch click from one position to the next (multi-contacts) or does slide smooth giving you infinite settings between off and max (rheostat)?
I would think the switch would make both come on together.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

The switch kind of has a click between settings but not a real detent feel. Even though it has dots for the switch positions to move to, it has always felt kind of "soft" as I rotated it, almost like a rheostat feel. I need to pull it out when I get a chance and see if there is anything obvious, making this happen. It it isn't obvious and it keeps up I will probably disconnect it right now.

2001 GL1800
1977 GL1000
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:13 AM

Year: 1982
Model: Interstate
Garage
Dave has a good point, Since both grips work off the single switch, a bad switch would affect both grips.

That being said, does the RIGHT grip get hot when you turn the switch on? If so, then that's further evidence of a wire fault on the left grip.

Bruce

Current Bikes:
---------------------
74 CB750 K4
77 CB550 K3
82 CM250C
82 GL1100 Interstate w/ Auburn Gemini (doublewide) Sidecar

Past Bikes:
------------------
What?? SELL a bike??

------------------
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lots of things. You've been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. Its having the right attitudes that's hard.

PGR since 2011
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

So I took the subpanel part with the switch in it off just below the right pocket. I was surprised how easy that came apart. There are three wires coming out of the switch to a gray connector and three wires going out to the grips. I didn't see any frayed or broken wires. I took the switch off from the back of the little panel and then took a small metal bracket off from the back of the switch. The metal bracket has a piece of metal that acts as the detent to notches in the black plastic knob. When you pull the knob off it looks just like the shaft on a radio if you pulled a volume knob off.

The switch with the knob off could be turned easily and you can feel the Off/On part of it. The metal detent piece gives it the detent feel as you rotate it. So I couldn't see anything outward and the switch felt normal at that point so I just put it back together for another day. The switch knob now feels positive, lines up with the Off/On position and the red dots. I couldn't try it out because it is raining out and the bike is in my basement so I'll see how it is working the next time I ride it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6303.jpg (106.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6302.jpg (62.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6304.jpg (83.4 KB, 7 views)

2001 GL1800
1977 GL1000
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM
Curmudgeon Emeritus

Year: 1982, 2001
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100A, GL1800A
Here's (hopefully) the first page of the install instructions for Hondaline's heated grips, 08T50-MCA-102 (the entire 16-page document was too big to upload). Looking at the wiring diagram, I think there might be *two* problems here. First, the switch/controller may have failed in the on position, providing power to the grips. Second, there may be a short to ground between the two grips so that the one grip gets more power (and thus more heat) than usual, while the other grip gets no power at all. If the other grip had simply failed, neither grip would've worked since they're wired in series. What are your thoughts?

More bad news: unless things have changed since my switch/controller last failed in 2008, I'm sorry to say that the only way to replace *any* of the parts in this kit was to buy the complete kit, which cost me $302 back then. Still more bad news: a quick search on the part number turns up a lot of "no longer available" results on various dealer websites, which means that some experimentation with other heat controller units might be needed to get the grips back to working correctly, once the short is found & fixed.
Hope this was helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (579.3 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:52 PM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thboyd29 View Post
Here's (hopefully) the first page of the install instructions for Hondaline's heated grips, 08T50-MCA-102 (the entire 16-page document was too big to upload). Looking at the wiring diagram, I think there might be *two* problems here. First, the switch/controller may have failed in the on position, providing power to the grips. Second, there may be a short to ground between the two grips so that the one grip gets more power (and thus more heat) than usual, while the other grip gets no power at all. If the other grip had simply failed, neither grip would've worked since they're wired in series. What are your thoughts?

More bad news: unless things have changed since my switch/controller last failed in 2008, I'm sorry to say that the only way to replace *any* of the parts in this kit was to buy the complete kit, which cost me $302 back then. Still more bad news: a quick search on the part number turns up a lot of "no longer available" results on various dealer websites, which means that some experimentation with other heat controller units might be needed to get the grips back to working correctly, once the short is found & fixed.
Hope this was helpful.
Looking at that diagram it would take 2 things being wrong for the left grip to come on by itself, shorts to both power and ground or short to power and the switch stuck on. If by chance the wiring to the grips were switched it would only take a short to ground on the first one in the series for it to come on full heat.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I took a ride yesterday, first time since putting the switch back in. It was ok for awhile but then the left grip started heating up again. I then tried to cycle the switch a few times off and on then off and through the positions to see if it might shut it off, it didn't. So then I just turned the switch on to see if the right grip would heat up. The right grip did heat up and the left grip never felt like it got as hot as it did the other day. It was a 54 degree day yesterday and the heat on my left hand actually felt pretty good on my thumb joint that I'm starting to have a little arthritis in. I almost think the switch/controller is bad because I can't shut the grips off but I can control them a little.

2001 GL1800
1977 GL1000

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page