• 2 Post By OnaWingAndaPrayer
  • 1 Post By DaveO430

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
Lactical 95 amp alternator gave up the ghost

My alternator quit working while we were on a ride yesterday. I have the original as a backup but was wondering if there is a rebuild kit for the Lactrical 95 amp alternator or is it even worth it. I can't afford to go with Compufire but was hoping to rebuild this one or have it rebuilt if anyone knows of someone how will do it for a fair price. I am also due to rebuild the OEM. It's been in there since '93 and only had the brushes replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:10 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
take it to a starter/alternator shop.
they can look at it, and probably fix it for you.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:22 AM

Year: 75,83I,86SEi,93A,94SE,03ABS
Model: 94SE 209000 miles
Ken is alternator repair service

KEN HEMING
3701 E. 69TH. AVE.
MERRILLVILLE, IN.
46410-3963
219-947-4038
[email protected]
DBohrer and ValkyrieRider like this.

Mike
NASSIR 1
NASSIR 6
NASSIR 7
NASSIR 8
NASR 10 Good times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

I took it to an alternator shop today and the guy said it would probably cost more to fix it than buy a new one. He bench tested it for me and said he was pretty sure it needed a new voltage regulator. Does anybody know what the part number is for the regulator? Someone on another forum said Lactrical uses the same alternator as the Saturn. The guy at the shop says there is nothing in there that looks like Delco. I opened it up and pulled the regulator to get the number and none of the numbers on it turn up anything on google. Google thinks they're license plate numbers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:48 AM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
jlaframboise, If you purchased this High Output Alternator...............

Click on "See More Product Details" both alternators are the same "model".....!

https://www.cheapernissanparts.com/v...al--alternator
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:58 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaframboise View Post
I took it to an alternator shop today and the guy said it would probably cost more to fix it than buy a new one. He bench tested it for me and said he was pretty sure it needed a new voltage regulator. Does anybody know what the part number is for the regulator? Someone on another forum said Lactrical uses the same alternator as the Saturn. The guy at the shop says there is nothing in there that looks like Delco. I opened it up and pulled the regulator to get the number and none of the numbers on it turn up anything on google. Google thinks they're license plate numbers.
I would think he could have given you some idea what brand it is. Maybe you could contact Lactrical.
flylow likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
I would think he could have given you some idea what brand it is. Maybe you could contact Lactrical.

He asked me what it came out of and I told him a '93 GL1500 but it is an aftermarket alternator sold by LActrical. He didn't want to open it up because he said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one so I started the hunt on my own. I may go with something like the one DBohrer mentioned. Knowing which alternator it is built around would make it much easier to find parts. Rebuilding the alternator is the easy part. Finding the parts to do it is what's hard. I will however, try to see if someone at LActrical will talk to me about this alternator. There has to be a market for rebuild kits for those who like to rebuild their own stuff like alternators, carbs and starters.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:37 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
He asked me what it came out of and I told him a '93 GL1500 but it is an aftermarket alternator sold by LActrical. He didn't want to open it up because he said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one so I started the hunt on my own. I may go with something like the one DBohrer mentioned. Knowing which alternator it is built around would make it much easier to find parts. Rebuilding the alternator is the easy part. Finding the parts to do it is what's hard. I will however, try to see if someone at LActrical will talk to me about this alternator. There has to be a market for rebuild kits for those who like to rebuild their own stuff like alternators, carbs and starters.

send it to Ken Heming, he will make it good again.
he don't care what brand it used to be

Ken Heming Alternator Repair

219-947-4038

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

http://myplace.frontier.com/~hemi-roid/

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

~ John
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks John. I looked at the website when Mike posted it earlier. It seems that it would cost more to ship it and have it repaired than what I paid for it new. I went all over the inside of the alternator and found the word Transpo. Then did a search with a couple numbers and it lead me to a catalog with a few hundred pages of alternator parts. Once I found a picture that matched, I was able to cross reference the numbers and come up with the Hitachi equivalent.

Edited:

I deleted the list I printed earlier because I thought I better make sure the parts fit and work properly first before posting.

Last edited by jlaframboise; 05-21-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
I believe post # 5 indicated it would be Hitachi parts........!!

Glad you found the part.

Quote:
Thanks John. I looked at the website when Mike posted it earlier. It seems that it would cost more to ship it and have it repaired than what I paid for it new. I went all over the inside of the alternator and found the word Transpo. Then did a search with a couple numbers and it lead me to a catalog with a few hundred pages of alternator parts. Once I found a picture that matched, I was able to cross reference the numbers and come up with the Hitachi equivalent.

Edited:

I deleted the list I printed earlier because I thought I better make sure the parts fit and work properly first before posting.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page