1Likes
  • 1 Post By DBohrer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
Rear Diif oil change

Hello everyone. Haven't been on in a while. I have a 1996 1500SE that I have owned since 06. I rode it quite a lot the first few years I had it but as age creeps up on me and Pearl we both got to the point we weren't running as good as we did in our younger days. I have several health issues that prevented me from riding for a few years. I have breathing problems, Rheumatoid Arthritis (aggressive type) back problems with nerve damage going to my legs but hey, I wake up everyday and enjoy what the man above gives me. Anyway with all my problems, Pearl has sat for the most part. The carbs got to the point the bike would not stay running so I pulled the carbs and sent them off for rebuild and put them back on and bike ran ok but not like it should. That was in 2015 I think. Didn't ride it much then. In 2017 I took it to a local shade tree motorcycle mech recommended by a very good Honda mech and let him rebuild the carbs. Got it back from him and still wasn't right. Had an awful stumble when first starting off and idle was surging. between the two rebuilds I had spent over a thousand dollars and still couldn't ride her. Well after some new medicines, new arthritis treatments I am back to the point I can ride some. Started researching on what it takes to build the 1500 carbs and decided to try myself. I bought me another set of carbs from a 98 of ebay, got a kit from Randakk and tore into her. Once I got her back together and hit the starter she has run better than she has since I have had her. I even impressed myself which I have never done, but she runs like a dream. Now to my day today. I have never changed the rear diff oil since I have had the bike so today was the day. Pulled the drain plug and out came fairly clean looking oil. I was expecting more oil to drain out. Only got about an ounce and a half to two ounces out. My thoughts was the diff was low. Book says 4.7 ounces so I replace drain plug and go to fill with 2 oz syringe but only could get about 1.75 oz back in before it started running out. My question is did I not do it right or is the book wrong? I think I will go for a short ride and change it again this time with a through flushing. Bike was on center stand which has diff a little high, could some of the oil have stayed in the diff at the lowest point? Just don't want kill my diff because of low oil. Anyway sorry for the long post. I really enjoy reading all the post and a big thank you to all who answer and explain problems people like me have. Very very informative site. Now that I have Pearl up and running I am sure I will be asking for more advice to issues that I may have.

Barry

Barry Sims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:35 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Final Drive

If you removed the drain plug while on the center stand that would empty the final drive. if you filled it until it started running back out the filler hole, then it would be full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSims66173 View Post
Hello everyone. Haven't been on in a while. I have a 1996 1500SE that I have owned since 06. I rode it quite a lot the first few years I had it but as age creeps up on me and Pearl we both got to the point we weren't running as good as we did in our younger days. I have several health issues that prevented me from riding for a few years. I have breathing problems, Rheumatoid Arthritis (aggressive type) back problems with nerve damage going to my legs but hey, I wake up everyday and enjoy what the man above gives me. Anyway with all my problems, Pearl has sat for the most part. The carbs got to the point the bike would not stay running so I pulled the carbs and sent them off for rebuild and put them back on and bike ran ok but not like it should. That was in 2015 I think. Didn't ride it much then. In 2017 I took it to a local shade tree motorcycle mech recommended by a very good Honda mech and let him rebuild the carbs. Got it back from him and still wasn't right. Had an awful stumble when first starting off and idle was surging. between the two rebuilds I had spent over a thousand dollars and still couldn't ride her. Well after some new medicines, new arthritis treatments I am back to the point I can ride some. Started researching on what it takes to build the 1500 carbs and decided to try myself. I bought me another set of carbs from a 98 of ebay, got a kit from Randakk and tore into her. Once I got her back together and hit the starter she has run better than she has since I have had her. I even impressed myself which I have never done, but she runs like a dream. Now to my day today. I have never changed the rear diff oil since I have had the bike so today was the day. Pulled the drain plug and out came fairly clean looking oil. I was expecting more oil to drain out. Only got about an ounce and a half to two ounces out. My thoughts was the diff was low. Book says 4.7 ounces so I replace drain plug and go to fill with 2 oz syringe but only could get about 1.75 oz back in before it started running out. My question is did I not do it right or is the book wrong? I think I will go for a short ride and change it again this time with a through flushing. Bike was on center stand which has diff a little high, could some of the oil have stayed in the diff at the lowest point? Just don't want kill my diff because of low oil. Anyway sorry for the long post. I really enjoy reading all the post and a big thank you to all who answer and explain problems people like me have. Very very informative site. Now that I have Pearl up and running I am sure I will be asking for more advice to issues that I may have.

Barry
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Garage
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewt...p?f=14&t=10535

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
Joe in Calif, that was the post that I went by to change it. Didn't do the hair dryer because the temp was around 85 when I changed it. Also didn't flush it out but let it drain for over an hour.

DBohrer, Yes I filled it up until it ran out the fill hole. Thinking I must have filled it to fast, waited about five minutes thinking it would drain down some. Tried adding more and it just ran out the fill hole also.

Barry Sims

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page