95 GL1500SE Restart Problem - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Year: 95 & 98
Make: Honda
Model: '95 Goldwing SE & '98 Goldwing SE Trike (California Sidecar)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
and you should have opted for cheaper oil for this after all it wasn't going to be in there for long.

I considered STP at $3.79/Qt, but also considering the SeaFoam was already cutting the oil a little and I didn't want to risk anymore problems by skimping on the oil.

Thanks for the note.

When you're through learning, you're through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=John J;5842167]Next time it won't start try bump starting the bike. If it starts easily and runs well after bumping it should prove the carbs are doing their job right and your problem is not fuel related.

Thanks for the note John.

Not being familiar with the term "Bump Start", but on the chance you were referring to just bumping the starter button rather than "pressing" it, I gave the idea a shot. WORKED LIKE A DREAM!!!

I repeated my testing process. I took the bike out for over an hour and put about 75 miles on it. When I returned I set my timer for 15 minutes and then, after every 15 minutes for the next two hours (eight tests), I returned to the bike, turned on the ignition with NO choke and just tapped the starter switch. After every eight 15 minute intervals, from hot to almost cool, she started instantly. No spinning sounds.

After the 1 hour test worked perfectly, I turned it off, then immediately turned the ignition back on and "pressed" the starter button as I would normally do and though she started right away, there was still the sound of the starter spinning down for a second or two.

SO... where am I??? Apparently??? the Sprague Clutch is doing it's job properly! And if, as you said, the carburaters are doing their job right, what might be causing the initial problem with all the spinning when hitting the starter switch for about a second?

The two links you referred to both referenced '83 GL1100s. I'm not familiar with their starter motors. Are they the same as the '95 GL1500s?

I can't thank you enough for your suggestion. At least now, I can leave the house and feel I can get back by bump starting. However, I would sure feel better if I knew for sure what's causing the difficulty if I don't bump start.

Thanks so much.
Bill

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the note CrystalPistol and DriverRider.

Not being a mechanic, I have to agree with you and DriverRider with the issue of load/no load drain on the battery while the starter was spinning.

On the occasion when the battery ran dead, is wasn't all that short a time. I was holding the starter button for maybe 10 seconds at a time, multiple times. I had been off the bike for about 40 minutes that time. I put my battery charger on the bike overnight and of course she started instantly the next morning. Little did I know at the time, that if I had just waited maybe another 1/2 hour she would have started pretty quickly. That's also the point where I began paying attention to when the problem was happening.

Quote:
I only asked as it reads as if you maybe once set the choke, and never kicked it off with thumb. A 1500's choke enrichens fuel mix, it doesn't choke off air intake. A 1500 will run with choke fully applied, but use more fuel and be hard to start when warm, easily flooded when warm, and start OK when cold.

I usually set the choke to about 1/2 to 3/4 anytime it's a cold start. I have never needed to choke at all if the bike is still warm or has been ridden within the last 5-6 hours.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 PM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
Glad you figured something out just bumping the starter button, but just to clarify, what is usually meant by "Bump Start" is pushing the bike or rolling down a hill and letting out the clutch in gear....

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:23 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
[quote=Signdude8771;5843407]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Next time it won't start try bump starting the bike. If it starts easily and runs well after bumping it should prove the carbs are doing their job right and your problem is not fuel related.

Thanks for the note John.

Not being familiar with the term "Bump Start", but on the chance you were referring to just bumping the starter button rather than "pressing" it, I gave the idea a shot. WORKED LIKE A DREAM!!!

I repeated my testing process. I took the bike out for over an hour and put about 75 miles on it. When I returned I set my timer for 15 minutes and then, after every 15 minutes for the next two hours (eight tests), I returned to the bike, turned on the ignition with NO choke and just tapped the starter switch. After every eight 15 minute intervals, from hot to almost cool, she started instantly. No spinning sounds.

After the 1 hour test worked perfectly, I turned it off, then immediately turned the ignition back on and "pressed" the starter button as I would normally do and though she started right away, there was still the sound of the starter spinning down for a second or two.

SO... where am I??? Apparently??? the Sprague Clutch is doing it's job properly! And if, as you said, the carburaters are doing their job right, what might be causing the initial problem with all the spinning when hitting the starter switch for about a second?

The two links you referred to both referenced '83 GL1100s. I'm not familiar with their starter motors. Are they the same as the '95 GL1500s?

I can't thank you enough for your suggestion. At least now, I can leave the house and feel I can get back by bump starting. However, I would sure feel better if I knew for sure what's causing the difficulty if I don't bump start.

Thanks so much.
Bill
Even after all that we still don't know if you are hearing the starter spinning without engaging the engine or the sound of the engine turning but not starting.
And no, bump starting does not mean bumping the start button, I refer to it as roll starting or hill side starter.
Signdude8771 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:09 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
DaveO, sounds like he's got the "low voltage at the ECM" problem if it starts reliably when he pushes the starter button just momentarily rather than holding it down for 10 seconds.....

SignDude, it might be time to upgrade to an AGM battery. Can you measure the voltage on your battery while pressing the Start button?

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Hills???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
Glad you figured something out just bumping the starter button, but just to clarify, what is usually meant by "Bump Start" is pushing the bike or rolling down a hill and letting out the clutch in gear....

Sorry 'bout that!!! I live on the Eastern Shore of MD. I'd have to trailer my bike over the Chesapeake Bay to find a hill. We're at about 23' above sea level here.

Over on another site, this suggestion was made:

Quote:
What happens if you hit the start button then quickly release instead of holding it in? On many of the older bikes this is the standard start procedure as the coils are weak on most of the old bikes and releasing the start button allows full current to the coils.
That's where I got the idea that that was "bump starting".

That person is suggesting my problem could well be with the coils. At this point, since I can get the bike restarted, I'd still like to find what is causing the starter spinning problem so I can get it fixed. Since bumping the start button is working, I'm hoping that this also means the problem is NOT with the sprague clutch.

Many thanks for the comments. Any and all comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Bill

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the note and suggestion.

I'll check that and let you know what I find.

Bill

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM

Year: 2009
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
I'm leaning towards battery or the start switch... If the battery is low enough it will spin the motor but not start... Sometimes when the battery is low, releasing the start button allows the battery to surge back up in voltage and supplies enough voltage to the electronics to start...

Do you know what the battery voltage is when cranking and not cranking??? A bad or intermittent kill switch may cause this no start condition as the 1500 will still turn over when the kill switch is in the off position...

Les
siouxindian likes this.

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
Your bike has three ignition coils. I don't think you have a coil issue.....!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signdude8771 View Post

Sorry 'bout that!!! I live on the Eastern Shore of MD. I'd have to trailer my bike over the Chesapeake Bay to find a hill. We're at about 23' above sea level here.

Over on another site, this suggestion was made:

That's where I got the idea that that was "bump starting".

That person is suggesting my problem could well be with the coils. At this point, since I can get the bike restarted, I'd still like to find what is causing the starter spinning problem so I can get it fixed. Since bumping the start button is working, I'm hoping that this also means the problem is NOT with the sprague clutch.

Many thanks for the comments. Any and all comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Bill

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page