LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
yeah
I think the RPMs were a factor in the alternator giving up the ghost.
also, the Suburban has Rear Air and we keep it on COLD and high fan for the dogs...

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardGKrebbs View Post

Not sure what Surbuban fuel mileage has to do with it, but thanks for the info.

Yeah, we should have one of the mods spank him for being off topic ;-)
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
The alternator on a GL1500 or 1800 is pretty well enclosed and subject to more heat than on a car that has some air flow in the engine compartment.
Just my theory.

You are a genius Dave! I didn't think of the heat issue. When you add it to the equation, it makes a lot of sense. The high out put alternators are notorious for the high heat they put out. When you figure in the low quality of materials that go into the manufacturing, the components just can't take the heat, nor do they produce the heat that stock alternators do. This would have to be the reason that alternators that are built to OEM specs last longer. Now I need you to invent cooling vents for my side covers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:14 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaframboise View Post
You are a genius Dave! I didn't think of the heat issue. When you add it to the equation, it makes a lot of sense. The high out put alternators are notorious for the high heat they put out. When you figure in the low quality of materials that go into the manufacturing, the components just can't take the heat, nor do they produce the heat that stock alternators do. This would have to be the reason that alternators that are built to OEM specs last longer. Now I need you to invent cooling vents for my side covers.
Just throw the left side cover away.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:47 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Gl1500 SE
Why not just get it rebuilt locally then you won’t be buying Chinese junk, not sure wether they can increase the output but worth asking, probably a lot cheaper than buying new anyway.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-UK View Post
Why not just get it rebuilt locally then you won’t be buying Chinese junk, not sure wether they can increase the output but worth asking, probably a lot cheaper than buying new anyway.

I could more than likely rebuild the oem alternator myself but it is running fine right now and I need it for a backup next week. The parts for the lactrical would have taken too long to get here before our trip so I ordered a DB Electrical 90 amp yesterday and put it in today. The parts to rebuild/repair these bad boys come from China. Way back when, I'd see generators get hot enough to sling solder. It doesn't look like mine got that hot but it could have gotten hot enough to melt some electronics.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:12 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaframboise View Post
I could more than likely rebuild the oem alternator myself but it is running fine right now and I need it for a backup next week. The parts for the lactrical would have taken too long to get here before our trip so I ordered a DB Electrical 90 amp yesterday and put it in today. The parts to rebuild/repair these bad boys come from China. Way back when, I'd see generators get hot enough to sling solder. It doesn't look like mine got that hot but it could have gotten hot enough to melt some electronics.

it has been several decades now, but I remember seeing alternators and generators that were a mess like that. Solder everywhere, except where it belonged.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page