How do new alternators measure up? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500A
How do new alternators measure up?

I hope this thread doesn't turn into everybody's opinion on which alternator is the best, but I'd like to know how the new alternators stack up against the old guys. My original alternator is 26 years old and has about 110k miles on it. My new lactrical 95 amp is about 1 1/2 years old and only had around 7k miles on it when it died. Like I said, I don't want to start a brand war, I just want to know what the average life expectancy is these days.

P.S. My original is still going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
My Suburban had 213,500ish miles on it when the alternator died while we were on vacation, pulling our Toy Hauler trailer.

I bought it 2 years ago with 211,ish on it, and no records. so, OEM? maybe, or not.

the replacement is a DuraLast guaranteed for the life of the mechanic that wants to keep changing it if it fails again

My 2002 1800 had 98,000 on it when I just arbitrarily ordered up a new OEM Honda for that year model. in retrospect, wish I had thought on that more, and got a later year model for the higher ampacity rating.... but as I hear, that might be best that I did not?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:20 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
An alternator lasts until it goes bad. Seems like there are a lot of reports of early aftermarket failures on 1500s. The original equipment seem to have a good long life, even the later models that have a bad reputation seem to be better than the aftermarket.
AZgl1800 likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 PM

Year: 2004
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Garage
Alternators can go bad for any number of reasons, A short in the stator or field coil, an open or shorted diode.Or a regulator that is stuck full on, or not at all. Bearing failure is another .
Most alternators die of old age, when the brushes get so short, they can no longer contact the slip rings. Or the housing gets so full of crud it can no cool the stator or diode heatsink.

When I worked on buses, they had 24volt direct drive, brushless, oil cooled alternators. Most of these were changed from the old engine to the new bullet at around the 500,000 mile range. I never knew how long the alternator was run. No need to track it, as failures were uncommon.

MGK
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Model: GL1500A
Isn't everything "aftermarket" now Dave? You can buy an alternator that says Honda on it but it's made by Hitachi which since around '97 is manufactured in China. It seems stuff made in China that is meant for export is made from inferior materials and assembled by little kids who didn't have the talent to be acrobats or gymnasts. What year was your Suburban John? I'm looking to see if there are any Chinese made alternators out there that get the kind of mileage your Suburban got. The problem doesn't seem to exist across the board with later model vehicles though. It seems to be as Dave indicated that it is the aftermarket high output units people are putting in their 1500s. Could it be that car and bike manufacturers require their parts to meet certain specs while the low priced off brands have no such standards? I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the budget units from LActrical and DB Electrical are nothing more that cheap knockoffs the Chinese are famous for?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:28 PM

Garage
it is a 4x4 K1500 5.3L circa 2001.

vastly underpowered for towing a big Toy Hauler, but, I bought one of those engine tuners and reprogrammed the ECM for Torque using 87 Octane fuel.
it offered the option of 89 and 91 and 93 octane programs, but I just left it at 87 Octane.

the MPG varies from the middle 4s to the middle 9s, depends on headwinds, and the terrain. Always use cruise control set at 61 mph with OverDrive turned OFF.

in hilly terrain, have to use Tow Haul mode, and lock it in 2nd gear to keep the RPMs up in the 4,000 range

Climbed a few really steep grades in Colorado Springs area last summer, was in 1st gear and 4,000 rpm making a flock of Feet/Second

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 PM

Garage
this is a selected clip from 'Fuelio' an app on my smartphone.

I use it to record cost figures on all my vehicles.

~ John

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaframboise View Post
Isn't everything "aftermarket" now Dave? You can buy an alternator that says Honda on it but it's made by Hitachi which since around '97 is manufactured in China. It seems stuff made in China that is meant for export is made from inferior materials and assembled by little kids who didn't have the talent to be acrobats or gymnasts. What year was your Suburban John? I'm looking to see if there are any Chinese made alternators out there that get the kind of mileage your Suburban got. The problem doesn't seem to exist across the board with later model vehicles though. It seems to be as Dave indicated that it is the aftermarket high output units people are putting in their 1500s. Could it be that car and bike manufacturers require their parts to meet certain specs while the low priced off brands have no such standards? I guess what I'm getting at is, is it possible that the budget units from LActrical and DB Electrical are nothing more that cheap knockoffs the Chinese are famous for?
Even if it has a different brand on it if it was made for Honda (Honda dosen't make any electrical components) it could be made to their specs for a certain application. The alternator on a GL1500 or 1800 is pretty well enclosed and subject to more heat than on a car that has some air flow in the engine compartment. Aftermarket alternators are just car alternators, probably cheap chinese knock offs, adapted to fit the motorcycle and may not have the heat resistance built in.
Just my theory.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 AM

Year: 2004
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Garage
I think you are correct, the space where the alternator lives on a 1800 is a nightmare. I am surprised that one will last as long as they do. The small design of the alternator also works against it's life. Not much room for an effective fan or heatsinks.
Some creative air ducting could do wonders for cooling.

Not sure what Surbuban fuel mileage has to do with it, but thanks for the info.

MGK
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:16 AM

Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
in hilly terrain, have to use Tow Haul mode, and lock it in 2nd gear to keep the RPMs up in the 4,000 range

Climbed a few really steep grades in Colorado Springs area last summer, was in 1st gear and 4,000 rpm making a flock of Feet/Second
Considering Crank pulley and Alternator pulley sizes that's something like 20,000 RPM on the alternator for extended periods...!
AZgl1800 likes this.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page