Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

76 won't shift up/down or into neutral when hot.

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  ding dong 
#1 ·
When the bike has been ridden until the engine is hot it is extremely hard to shift when stopped. While moving it shifts okay. It's as if the shifter is jammed. No movement at all. This is up/down or into neutral. When it cools down it then shifts fine again. I have replaced the clutch pack as well as the clutch scavenger pump. No change! I'm at a loss at this point. Perhaps the shift forks are bad but it seems to me there would still be movement in the shifter even with bad forks. Also if I turn the engine off it shifts, not smooth but it does shift. Any thoughts???

#3 ·
The clutch is working and adjusted properly. No problem there.

#4 ·
If it shifts when the engine is off, then something is causing pressure on the gears. Possibly something in the clutch basket or bearing. That's why you should try it hot and on the centerstand to see if there is a drag. Will the rear wheel stay still in gear, running and the clutch in?

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Bike on centerstand, first gear, clutch in. No wheel spin.

#7 ·
When hot and in first or second gear and I attempt to go into neutral the shifter just won't budge. As in won't move at all. Turn the key off and will shift but not easily. Strange.

#11 ·
When I say not running it is just a matter of turning the key off and shifting. Can't be a difference in temps. I also just can't see a bent shift shaft. But???

#13 ·
Exact same problem. New clutch and scavenger oil pump. Cable adjusted to specs with smooth travel. No change at all. Yes engine running and hot indicating there is no clutch problem.

#15 ·
Strange as this may sound, try sea foam in your oil. I had a starter that wouldn't engage properly on a fairly regular basis on an 82. Sea foam was suggested, I laughed, but tried it anyway, and it worked. Blew away any real logic I had.

#16 ·
Thanks Doug and Kyle. Oil changed 50 miles ago. Using Rotella T5. This bike has been meticulously serviced since I rebuilt it 13 years ago. No sludge to worry about. This has to be something mechanical binding up. I can't even see how worn or bent shift forks could cause things to bind up. I guess the next step is pulling the front cover and checking the shifter linkages.

#18 ·
My '86 was doing this on a trip. When it occurred I found I could get it loose by getting going as fast in the gear it was stuck, pull in the clutch, wait a second or 2 and release the clutch quickly (almost getting a rear wheel chirp). It would then shift fine, till the next time. The ultimate fix was after the trip put a little Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase. Rode it about 50 miles and drained the oil and replaced with JASO rated motorcycle oil. I've never had the problem again. I don't have a clue why it worked or if it will have any impact on your problem.

Good luck!

#19 ·
Remember when you use your ratchet in a tight place and you do not have enough swing to grab the next tooth on the ratchet? That is what it seems like to me. Can't reconcile the heat or engine running relationship but I want to guess the issue is related to the shifting mechanism. Most likely the shift arm spring #19. If that fails there is nothing to engage the teeh of the shift arm with the shift drum. Just like if you break the spring of your ratchet. There would be nothing to push the tab in to the teeth of the ratchet mechanism. I know that is not a good answer but I wonder if your issue does not lie in that area? When you watch the video pay special attention to the part from 50 seconds to 1:32 and the left shift arm. See it move in and out to catch the next gear? What if it just stayed hanging out? You would have nothing if that spring failed. Unfortunately the spring is not shown but the in and out action of the spring is shown. :)

Attachments

#22 ·
With a normal shift the shifter moves up/down approximately 1in. When the problem occurs the shifter moves only 1/4 in. then stops.
Guys I am stepping away from this for a while. Tired of working on it for now. When I get back to it I will pull the front cover and inspect. Thanks to all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.