What size Dingleberry Hone? - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1982
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1100A
What size Dingleberry Hone?

If I want to clean up the cylinders in my 1982 GL1100 what size of Dingleberry hone do I need to get? Thank you for your advice.

1982 GL1100A Shade Tree Refugee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
The bore is 75mm, 3".

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:49 PM

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
I would use the hone with 3 spring actuated stones,just my preffference

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:00 PM
Honda Guru

Year: 1988
Make: Honda GoldWing
Model: 88 GL1500
It really depends what you want to achieve with the hone. For a light scuff the dingle ball hone will work fine. If you want to remove material a multi stone hone is better. There are two basic types of stone hones: one is the precision hone like a Sunnen hone. I’ve got several ranging from 25mm (1 1/4”) up to 130mm (@5.5”). The other stone hone type is a spring type. They are not precision like a Sunnen. If you bore a cylinder you need a precision hone to make sure the cylinder stays perfectly straight. Otherwise the dingle ball hone will be fine. Use one 3” or 76mm. The bore is 75mm. You need a hone a little larger than the more so the pressure will score the cylinder. Amazon has one for $35.99. Not cheap.

Ray
88 GL1500
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:32 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
I have used the balls and I think they were OK. The spring loaded just seemed to fly around and burnish the cylinder walls. Like Ray said, a real Sunnen hone is the best way to go but that is very expensive for once or twice.
The best luck I had I learned from an Old Guy who worked in an automotive machine shop for years. You need to have some imagination but it works great and it is cheap to free. Start out with something that is round and smaller than the bore you are going to hone. I have used hole saws quite a bit. Remove the 1/4" drill and replace it with 1/4" round stock to chuck the saw to for longer reach if necessary. Chuck it in your drill. A heavy duty slow variable drill will be best to get the correct crosshatch. Now wrap a cloth around the holesaw or whatever you come up with. Make sure you wrap it in the direction the drill is going to turn so it tries to wrap up and not unwrap. Wrap enough cloth that it is just about snug but not really. Use duct tape to fasten the cloth to the holesaw. Now get some 220 grit silicon Carbide sandpaper. Only use silicon carbide as it is the only media that will stand up to the job. Where the cloth ends (the tail) tape the sandpaper to the tail and wrap the sandpaper around the holesaw just like the cloth. Hopefully the unit will slip in just right. Not so easy as it just drops in (needs another wrap of cloth) and not so tight you can't get it in without wrinkling the sandpaper. (need a little less cloth). Hit the trigger quite slow and stroke it up and down being careful not to hit the web at the bottom. The bottom is not important. The crosshatch should be about 45 degrees. If it is too flat speed up the up and down motion. If is is too vertical speed up the drill or slow down the up down motion.
I have used this method many times in my life and was always pleased with the results but really liked the price.

In stock at my O Reiley's:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b.../41406/4511195

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page