Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Vent tubes for 1988 GL1500 (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667599-vent-tubes-1988-gl1500.html)

bugzapper1 06-06-2019 02:49 PM

Vent tubes for 1988 GL1500

I had a vent line approx 5/16-3/8 id, yellowish in color disconnect from somewhere yesterday. The tube/hose comes down right in front of the center stand and hangs in the air along side 2 or 3 others. I removed the two side covers and wiggled the tube and the hose clamp fell down as well. I looked but am not able to see where it belongs. I am presuming I am going to have to remove the top half of the bike to get to it but can anyone tell me where it belongs so I have an idea before I dig in? Anyone have photos or diagrams of where this tube gets routed?
Thanks,

Sprocketrocket55 06-06-2019 02:55 PM

Possibly the drain for the air filter box

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

ALEX BERECZKY 06-06-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprocketrocket55 (Post 5845787)
Possibly the drain for the air filter box

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

If there's a 2nd one Same Size (emerging by kickstand), then the one you found is a Drain Tube... One goes to the lower portion of the air filter box, and the other to a Collector Box under/behind the air box. The 1st is easy to re-attach (to lower left of air filter box), where-as the 2nd is harder as you have to remove the air box

Bike...and Dennis 06-06-2019 04:06 PM

Seems like there should be a hose from the battery, the fuel filler tray and the air box.

DaveO430 06-06-2019 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5845797)
Seems like there should be a hose from the battery, .

Only if you are using a 20th century battery. :ROFL:

Bike...and Dennis 06-06-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveO430 (Post 5845859)
Only if you are using a 20th century battery. :ROFL:

It is a 20th century bike. :?

I suspect there are more than a few old batteries dripping acid onto mufflers because the hose is no longer connected or has disintegrated.

Erdeniz Umman 06-07-2019 03:28 AM

We are from the 20th century as well.

bugzapper1 06-07-2019 07:00 AM

I have 4x tubes out the bottom, a black one, Fuel Tray? Two yellow colored larger diameter ones, Air filter box? And a smaller one for battery?
Is there any way to see where I need to go to reconnect the easy one to the airbox in case it is that one? It is a bugger to see up under there.
Any concert for driving with the airbox one disconnected for a short time?
Thanks a bunch!

snowmoer 06-07-2019 09:03 AM

The small one is the carb drain tube. The other is the fuel tray drain tube.

More than likely it is the one at the back of the air box.

You are going to have to remove at minimum, the seat, the left side panel and the top panel that holds the radio to get access to the air box. You might as well take off the right side panel also for a little more room. Take the top lid off the air box. Check your air filter while you are in there. You will also need to remove the 6 screws that hold the air box on the carbs. That will let you pull the bottom of the air box up just enough to get long needle nose plyers down there to grab the hose and slide it on the air box. There should be a spring clip on that hose that holds it to the bottom of the air box. Someone just got lazy and did not put it on. It can be a pain.

I would not run it long term without the hose. It is letting a tiny bit of non filtered air into the motor. That hose is plugged up at the bottom, so air does not make it into the air box.

Ken Bergen 06-07-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowmoer (Post 5846003)

I would not run it long term without the hose. It is letting a tiny bit of non filtered air into the motor. That hose is plugged up at the bottom, so air does not make it into the air box.

It will also defeat your PCV system and you may find oil leaks where none were before.