Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   O ring oil leak after installing new Alt. (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667747-o-ring-oil-leak-after-installing-new-alt.html)

DBohrer 06-17-2019 06:17 PM

O ring oil leak after installing new Alt.

WildWilly,

Yep, your 1988 had two "shoulder type" bolts and the new alternator was not drilled to accept them.

On the OEM alternators, the exciter wire (from the ignition relay) plugged in to the back of the alternator.

The replacement alternator had a wire already permanently connected to the back of the alternator (for the exciter wire).

You either had to do some splicing or remove the left inner faring panel to plug it in.

About the "o-ring", it may be damaged. All you normally need to do is lube them good and carefully slide the alternator in place.

Make sure it slides in straight (not angled).

PS: You should have started a new separate thread for your question....!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildWilly018 (Post 5847783)
Hoping there is someone in here with an answer for me. My alt packed it in on my 88 gl1500 a few weeks ago. It was the 707. Ordered a aftermarket new one on Amazon. Got it on Sunday and put it in bike. I had to get 2 new bolts because of the difference in hole size and changed the power bolt hook up to the one on my old alt since the new one is so large it doesn't fit in around corner. My question is how do I keep the o ring in place while installing because I am going to have to remove Alt again since I noticed oil leak. So obviously the o ring didn't stay put. Ant advise is good.

WildWilly018 06-17-2019 06:32 PM

O ring oil leak after installing new Alt.

Hoping there is someone in here with an answer for me. My alt packed it in on my 88 GL 1500 a few weeks ago. It was the 707. Ordered a aftermarket new one on Amazon. Got it on Sunday and put it in bike. I had to get 2 new bolts because of the difference in hole size and changed the power bolt hook up to the one on my old alt since the new one is so large it doesn't fit in around corner. My question is how do I keep the o ring in place while installing because I am going to have to remove Alt again since I noticed oil leak. So obviously the o ring didn't stay put. Any advise is good.

Ken Bergen 06-17-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5847785)
PS: You should have started a new separate thread for your question....!!

Perhaps a moderator could do that for him.

Bike...and Dennis 06-17-2019 06:37 PM

I'm, working on it.

Not sure why it put it up as the first post....???

tamathumper 06-17-2019 06:38 PM

How did the response get ahead of the question?

WildWilly018 06-17-2019 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5847797)
I'm, working on it.

Not sure why it put it up as the first post....???

I am hoping I started a new thread properly. Can I use grease around the o ring to keep it in place.

Bike...and Dennis 06-17-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildWilly018 (Post 5847807)
I am hoping I started a new thread properly. Can I use grease around the o ring to keep it in place.

You posted it just fine. Things went weird when I moved DBohrer's answer from the other post.

DBohrer 06-17-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildWilly018 (Post 5847807)

Yes but not really necessary to keep it in place.....!!

WildWilly018 06-17-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBohrer (Post 5847821)
Yes but not really necessary to keep it in place.....!!

It must have come out of groove or it wouldn't leak right? Want it to stay in groove.

DBohrer 06-17-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildWilly018 (Post 5847831)
It must have come out of groove or it wouldn't leak right? Want it to stay in groove.

It could leak even in the groove if there was a "nick" or "slight tear" or such somewhere on the outer edge of the o-ring.

Doesn't take much for a leak. I seriously doubt it came out of the groove....!