1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bike...and Dennis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Make: Honda
Model: 84 Aspencade
84 GL starter... wont. been rebuilt???

i rebuilt the 84 GL starter 2 months ago, now same thing CLICK and volt meter goes WAY DOWN with new battery. it rained just a little, bike had a cover on it went to start it and POP went something electrical and ... same as before. push the starter button and volt meter goes to 8.x when it started out with 12.7. new battery 2 months ago.

i want a new starter, i want a lot of things... but ... is there something IN THE ENGINE that will stop the starter from doing anything... like starter chain and related assembly doing something "funny" and locking the motor up?

when i rebuilt the starter, it was pretty clean, brushes were good, i didn't replace them. it did work fine... for 15x or so that i have ridden the bike since, but now, nothing. is it a starter issue or something deeper and more sinister IN the motor? i read about something like that... starter chain/clutch ... i forget the rest. last time i even jumped the starter, straight to the starter lug, with a good battery and just sparks, starter would not turn... so took apart starter to clean it/oil it etc. so????

new starter? im sure if i take the starter out and put it to a battery it will spin with authority, but with no load, that means little. i really do not want to spend BIG MONEY on a new starter, $65 on e bay for new starter... for 85/-87... that does not work on 84? and then used 84 starter that... i suppose works for ... a while? i just dont want to do this too many more times as finagling the starter out is a 20 min deal...if a person is lucky and the same going in. when spend more time and money on something than using it... it gets tiresome and a person wants to ... give up. shdve spend more money on a NICER BIKE, but dont have the $ now to do much of anything but band aid things best i can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:28 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Try turning the engine manually, it is not the starter chain or clutch causing the problem. Sounds to me like you have a bad connection to the battery, a bad cable maybe. Or could be the new battery is bad, it happens. If you take the voltage directly at the battery when trying to start what do you get? Do voltage drop tests. Connect one lead of the meter to the + terminal, the other to the starter terminal, check voltage. 1 lead to the - battery terminal, the other to the engine block, check voltage. There should be less than 1v in either of those tests, get back to us if there is more.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I would suspect something like a carb leaking into a cylinder. Try pulling the plugs and see if it turns over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas pool.jpg (99.2 KB, 6 views)
Artful_Dodger likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Year: 84 GL 1200
Model: 84 Aspencade
well... that is a thought.... hydro locked from leaking carb float needle? lets hope not, can bend connecting rods that way. turn off fuel and pull plugs? and check the battery voltage... cld be a bad battery? it worked fine for the whole month i have had the bike running. i have extra car battery and jumper cables to go straight to the starter and see if it will turn... after i take the plugs out and see if got gas in the cylinder/s.

when i engage the starter, it really pulls that battery DOWN... to ... 9.x like a direct short???? the attached volt meter is taken from the +/- of the battery, hardwired permanently to the bike since they have known stator issues so i need to know if/when the stator is going out

how to turn the motor manually. i wud roll it down the short driveway and pop the clutch... but if it doesnt start... i cldnt be able to push it back up the driveway and here... not a good thing to Leave ANYTHING outside, especially in/near the street as things disappear overnight here. hardware store locks are not worth throwing out.... here.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 PM

Year: 1985
Model: Interstate
There is s plug on the stator/flywheel housing, remove and use a socket wrench to rotate it

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page