85 GL1200 Hesitation/Stumble at low RPM. - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200A
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhunter View Post
I live just Northwest of Rockford. If you would like to take a ride on a weekend, I can sync (show you how) them for you. It's not hard.

That's awesome of you to offer - and probably not a bad idea to get the bike out of the road for an extended trip to blow out the cobwebs.

I normally work weekends but am off the Saturday after the 4th. Otherwise we might be able to set something up in the future.

I'm not against buying my own sync set and doing it here, but it's nice to know someone with some experience is fairly close by.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
If you think you need it, have at it.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

The washer/shim trick is fairly well known in the Shadow community, too, typically because people swap to loud, open pipes and don't want to invest in a set of jets. It's likely worth investigation, but this seems like more of a basic drivability problem to me. I suspect the carbs need to be opened and inspected. I'm just not looking forward to that kind of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Little observation from the evening commute -

After my 20 mile jaunt home down the expressway, the bike is behaving as I would expect. That means this problem seems to be present, or at least obvious when the bike is cold.
This does suggest running on the lean side at lower RPMs, the engine won't be so sensitive to slightly lean once warmed up nicely. If the bike has been sitting for a long time it's possible this is as simple as slightly gunked-up jets.

It doesn't sound like the carbs are in too horrible condition, maybe just somewhat varnished.

Before doing anything too radical I'd just drive it and see what 3-4 tanks of fuel with double-dose of seafoam does, especially if you do a lot of driving in the range where the stumbling occurs. This will pull the Seafoam-fuel thru the affected carburetor circuit and hopefully clean it out. Or perhaps pulling the carb racks, and carb bowls and cleaning what's accessible from there with good carb cleaner may yield results too. It doesn't sound like they need a full overhaul.

I've read several posts in the past about good results doing the shims as described above, I'd go that route if the Seafoam treatment doesn't yield positive results.
Bellboy40 and BadMonk's1200 like this.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like a plan, to me. I gave the bike a few extra minutes to idle at half choke and warm up a bit more this morning, and the symptom is less noticeable but still present.

I think I'll run it as is for another few weeks and see if it clears up a bit more. If it does, the carbs might be more of a next year project, given how crap the riding season has been so far.

That also gives me a chance to work on some other issues that need addressing, most importantly - the impossible to see through windscreen. Replacing it with a vented model sounds just dandy. Airflow is DEFINITELY at a premium on a full-fairing bike, I guess. My legs are cooking by the time I make it home in traffic.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:12 PM

Model: 1985 Gl1200A
I have an 85 Aspencade and mine did that after sitting while i recovered from 3 strokes. I tried washers and everythuing else including lots of Seafoam.

If it runs better with the enrichener (incorrectly called choke) turned on I'd bet a dollar to a donut that the idle jets have begun to get dirty/clogged. I bought several sizes for my carbs (they were cheap on ebay 5 of one size for 2.89 Pilot/Slow,Main Jet For Keihin CVK OKO KOSO Polini Carb Size 32-55 118-170). i tried 40 and fixed, then I tried 38 and still worked. Then i put in 35 *stock size" and still worked!

So in retrospect, the originals were clogged, but probably on the holes that went through from side to side rather than straight through. You can see the holes i mean in the picture (they are in the section labeled 3MM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (38.1 KB, 8 views)
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

I haven't tried riding the bike without having the choke closed - I only use it for starting and warmup, as I'm used to taking that time to get my gear on and lock up the house.

The jets are a good idea, and I wouldn't be surprised to find them to be partially clogged. Rather than mess with removing them, boiling them, running wire through them and hoping it's done the trick I would probably order a full set and just replace everything, especially not knowing the history on them.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
OEM jets are expensive. Aftermarket jets are junk.

Cleaning the ones you have isn't that difficult.
BadMonk's1200 likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

No, it's not particularly difficult - nothing I haven't done before, but I tend to second guess my ability. Last time I did the Shadow carbs, I didn't quite get one as clean as it looked and had to pull everything out all over again.

Shimming the needles isn't a big deal either - since you can get to the rear carb slides while the carbs are still installed, do you think it's possible to shim the rears and see if it makes any difference at all before pulling the entire assembly to do all four?

EDIT: Now that I think about it...I should be able to get to all 4 slides after removing the fairing, is that right?

Last edited by Virto; 06-26-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:39 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I think you can do all 4 without removing the carbs. Don't count on the shims helping anything. They didn't on mine.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page