Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   85 GL1200 Hesitation/Stumble at low RPM. (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667861-85-gl1200-hesitation-stumble-low-rpm.html)

Virto 06-25-2019 02:40 PM

85 GL1200 Hesitation/Stumble at low RPM.

Hey everyone - some of you may have seen my "new member" post already, but after several days of lurking, searching and reading everything I can find, I've decided to go ahead and create my own "issue" thread.

I just recently purchased an 85 Aspencade with 58k - she wants to stumble on tip in at low RPM. Twist the hand a bit further and it'll stop wanting to buck and smooth right out. Essentially anything over 3k and it seems to have no complaint. Having only ever run V-Twins and parallel twins before, I will say that twisting the throttle to pass at 80 is amazingly smooth and relaxed. It has zero problems in the cruise. The bike will absolutely fly at half or more throttle in 4th or OD on the highway.

I'm no carb expert and I'm not sure where to begin. I do have half a bottle of seafoam in the fuel and it'll probably take me another week or so to get low enough for a refill. The weather here in Chicagoland has not been ride-friendly. Once I've burned thru most of this tank, I'll refill and do it again.

I know there was a TSB in 85 regarding stumbling on the Cali-model 1200s, but this is an Illinois bike since new, and I am the 3rd owner.

Obviously any input you might have is highly valued.

-Kelly

Bike...and Dennis 06-25-2019 02:54 PM

The California bikes were sold in places other than California. Not sure why, but...

Many also simply got moved. So, do you have a hose coming off your gas cap?

Is there a hose diagram on the right side of the gas tank?

Virto 06-25-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5849521)
The California bikes were sold in places other than California. Not sure why, but...

Many also simply got moved. So, do you have a hose coming off your gas cap?

Is there a hose diagram on the right side of the gas tank?

No gas cap breather, no hose diagram.

Just had to run out and check...

Edit: The only things I can see on the carbs are the manufacturer stamp and what looks like a VD.

Virto 06-25-2019 06:01 PM

Little observation fromthe evening commute -

After my 20 mile jaunt home down the expressway, the bike is behaving as I would expect. That means this problem seems to be present, or at least obvious when the bike is cold.

Bike...and Dennis 06-25-2019 06:24 PM

What kind of air cleaner are you running?

Virto 06-25-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis (Post 5849577)
What kind of air cleaner are you running?

Looks like a Honda element, stamped HM MG9-HF, which seems to reference back to old Honda part number 17211-MG9-000.

The element isn't what I'd call dirty, but it's certainly not brand new. I'm not entirely sure that it was properly (fully) seated in the airbox, though, as it was loose when I removed the lid, although I was fighting the fuse box and the breather hose and might have knocked it loose.

I've got it back in, fully seated and tightened down. I wish the little access panel door would swing upwards maybe just another inch or two.

galaxyhunter 06-25-2019 07:42 PM

Do you know when the last time the carbs have been synced?

Virto 06-25-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxyhunter (Post 5849585)
Do you know when the last time the carbs have been synced?

No clue. I know it was serviced annually by a shop about an hour away which I believe is no longer in business.

Lol, there's a tool I wasn't planning to buy already...

galaxyhunter 06-25-2019 08:07 PM

I live just Northwest of Rockford. If you would like to take a ride on a weekend, I can sync (show you how) them for you. It's not hard.

Bike...and Dennis 06-25-2019 08:25 PM

I had a linkage problem that sort of did what you describe. Because the linkage was bent the carbs would be in sync at idle, then go way out as you start to roll the gas on. Once the RPMs were up, all was well.