Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   You Gotta Read This. (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667903-you-gotta-read.html)

logos95 06-21-2019 09:15 AM

You Gotta Read This.

You gotta read this! It might be a little lengthy but it may help you feel better in the long run. My 95SE did the same thing you're talking about only it acted up after riding 6 miles to the gas station and filling up. Crappy gas, right? Wrong! I drained the tank and refueled. No help. Put in new plugs (just in case). Not that either. That was four years ago. I took it to a reputable dealer and had them clean the carbs. It took them three weeks and they finally told me just come and get it. They had the carbs apart 6 times in three weeks, swapped ECM's with a 96 that ran fine, and replace 4 vacuum lines. It was better but still had a mid range miss. Right at the RPM we run down the highway. I was at another reputable dealer and asked about my miss and their response was "we can fix it". It went in for two days and they called to say it was done. No it wasn't. It ran worse than when I brought it. The service manager drove it and said he wouldn't ride it to the grocery store and back. We left it. Three weeks later, after having the carbs apart three times, changing the plugs, and trying a spare ECM, they called and said come and get it. It wasn't fixed, "just get it out of here" was the basic response. A retired automotive mechanic heard it run and said "I can fix it, there ain't an engine built I can't fix". Wrong! One carburetor rebuild, one trigger wheel and two weeks later it was back at home. Not right, but it ran acceptably. By now it's winter of 2017. I dumped in some fuel stabilizer, put the maintainer on her, and put her to bed for three months. Spring of 2018 I got her out of the garage, hit the starter and she sprang to life, ready to roll. I thought. We didn't get a mile from the house before it started to spit and sputter at almost any rpm. So here I sit. A beautiful 95SE that runs like crap, 5 grand invested in repairs on a bike that's worth maybe that much if it ran, and a tear in my eye because I can't even ride it. So, good luck getting it back in shape and let us know what worked. I'm at the point where I'll try almost anything!

whitewingguy 06-21-2019 10:44 AM

Wow, what a terrible ordeal.
I put seafoam in, after draining gas, I also had to fill the clutch reservoir and need clutch lines. Took awhile but seems to be running ok.
I I went on 80 mile test ride. At first very rough from dead stop. After the test ride, it is better. Im taking it for another test ride today.
My bike sat for 2 years, with only occasional starting. My bad.
Good luck with yours.

DBohrer 06-21-2019 11:39 AM

Just a few items that come to mind................

Was the fuel and air filters changed...?

Was the auto fuel shut-off valve checked (or bypassed for a test)...?

Was the float levels set correctly during the carb rebuilds....?

Was the carbs synced after installation...?

Was the sub air filter changed....?

Quote:

Originally Posted by logos95 (Post 5848577)
You gotta read this! It might be a little lengthy but it may help you feel better in the long run. My 95SE did the same thing you're talking about only it acted up after riding 6 miles to the gas station and filling up. Crappy gas, right? Wrong! I drained the tank and refueled. No help. Put in new plugs (just in case). Not that either. That was four years ago. I took it to a reputable dealer and had them clean the carbs. It took them three weeks and they finally told me just come and get it. They had the carbs apart 6 times in three weeks, swapped ECM's with a 96 that ran fine, and replace 4 vacuum lines. It was better but still had a mid range miss. Right at the RPM we run down the highway. I was at another reputable dealer and asked about my miss and their response was "we can fix it". It went in for two days and they called to say it was done. No it wasn't. It ran worse than when I brought it. The service manager drove it and said he wouldn't ride it to the grocery store and back. We left it. Three weeks later, after having the carbs apart three times, changing the plugs, and trying a spare ECM, they called and said come and get it. It wasn't fixed, "just get it out of here" was the basic response. A retired automotive mechanic heard it run and said "I can fix it, there ain't an engine built I can't fix". Wrong! One carburetor rebuild, one trigger wheel and two weeks later it was back at home. Not right, but it ran acceptably. By now it's winter of 2017. I dumped in some fuel stabilizer, put the maintainer on her, and put her to bed for three months. Spring of 2018 I got her out of the garage, hit the starter and she sprang to life, ready to roll. I thought. We didn't get a mile from the house before it started to spit and sputter at almost any rpm. So here I sit. A beautiful 95SE that runs like crap, 5 grand invested in repairs on a bike that's worth maybe that much if it ran, and a tear in my eye because I can't even ride it. So, good luck getting it back in shape and let us know what worked. I'm at the point where I'll try almost anything!

logos95 06-28-2019 09:06 AM

All good questions but I don't know the answers. I left it in the hands of the pros at the dealership. I would say I assume that was all accomplished but you know how it is, never assume!

tlbranth 06-28-2019 12:54 PM

I don't know how similar your '95 is to my '99 but I've had run/quit/run symptoms before. First one was caused by a disintegrated Emgo fuel filter. Second was a bad fuel pump. Third was a bad petcock. All three would cause intermittent failure.

RambozoClown 06-28-2019 01:23 PM

Like most shops, they are now mostly populated by parts changers. It can be hard to find a good diagnostician, these days. But since your bike seems to have a fairly repeatable problem, it should not be that hard to put it on a dyno with an ignition scope and an exhaust analyzer and find out what the problem is.

CrystalPistol 06-28-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by logos95 (Post 5848577)
etc My 95SE did the same thing you're talking about etc

Who dat?

Bike...and Dennis 06-28-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPistol (Post 5850257)
Who dat?

Logo's post was originally posted on a different thread, but because it began to hijack that thread, I moved it/gave it its own thread.

Screw 06-29-2019 07:35 AM

I would change fuel filter, and fuel pump. Also check the air filter if it needs changed do it too. Just sounds fuel related to me. Im sure they all checked or changed major stuff like timing. might see if its a certain cylinder if its not a certain cylinder i would for sure almost say fuel relater. Also try letting it run with the gas cap off to make sure its not a venting problem. I wish you luck, these problems are hard to find. Hope this helps.

joe in calif 06-29-2019 11:40 AM

You can bypass the auto fuel shut off valve, simple to do and doesn't cost anything to try.