You Gotta Read This. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1995
Model: GL1500SE
You Gotta Read This.

You gotta read this! It might be a little lengthy but it may help you feel better in the long run. My 95SE did the same thing you're talking about only it acted up after riding 6 miles to the gas station and filling up. Crappy gas, right? Wrong! I drained the tank and refueled. No help. Put in new plugs (just in case). Not that either. That was four years ago. I took it to a reputable dealer and had them clean the carbs. It took them three weeks and they finally told me just come and get it. They had the carbs apart 6 times in three weeks, swapped ECM's with a 96 that ran fine, and replace 4 vacuum lines. It was better but still had a mid range miss. Right at the RPM we run down the highway. I was at another reputable dealer and asked about my miss and their response was "we can fix it". It went in for two days and they called to say it was done. No it wasn't. It ran worse than when I brought it. The service manager drove it and said he wouldn't ride it to the grocery store and back. We left it. Three weeks later, after having the carbs apart three times, changing the plugs, and trying a spare ECM, they called and said come and get it. It wasn't fixed, "just get it out of here" was the basic response. A retired automotive mechanic heard it run and said "I can fix it, there ain't an engine built I can't fix". Wrong! One carburetor rebuild, one trigger wheel and two weeks later it was back at home. Not right, but it ran acceptably. By now it's winter of 2017. I dumped in some fuel stabilizer, put the maintainer on her, and put her to bed for three months. Spring of 2018 I got her out of the garage, hit the starter and she sprang to life, ready to roll. I thought. We didn't get a mile from the house before it started to spit and sputter at almost any rpm. So here I sit. A beautiful 95SE that runs like crap, 5 grand invested in repairs on a bike that's worth maybe that much if it ran, and a tear in my eye because I can't even ride it. So, good luck getting it back in shape and let us know what worked. I'm at the point where I'll try almost anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:44 AM

Model: 1998 GL 1500 SE
Wow, what a terrible ordeal.
I put seafoam in, after draining gas, I also had to fill the clutch reservoir and need clutch lines. Took awhile but seems to be running ok.
I I went on 80 mile test ride. At first very rough from dead stop. After the test ride, it is better. Im taking it for another test ride today.
My bike sat for 2 years, with only occasional starting. My bad.
Good luck with yours.

"Today well Lived, Takes care of the days yet to come"

"So let\'s ride"
Steve
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:39 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Just a few items that come to mind................

Was the fuel and air filters changed...?

Was the auto fuel shut-off valve checked (or bypassed for a test)...?

Was the float levels set correctly during the carb rebuilds....?

Was the carbs synced after installation...?

Was the sub air filter changed....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logos95 View Post
You gotta read this! It might be a little lengthy but it may help you feel better in the long run. My 95SE did the same thing you're talking about only it acted up after riding 6 miles to the gas station and filling up. Crappy gas, right? Wrong! I drained the tank and refueled. No help. Put in new plugs (just in case). Not that either. That was four years ago. I took it to a reputable dealer and had them clean the carbs. It took them three weeks and they finally told me just come and get it. They had the carbs apart 6 times in three weeks, swapped ECM's with a 96 that ran fine, and replace 4 vacuum lines. It was better but still had a mid range miss. Right at the RPM we run down the highway. I was at another reputable dealer and asked about my miss and their response was "we can fix it". It went in for two days and they called to say it was done. No it wasn't. It ran worse than when I brought it. The service manager drove it and said he wouldn't ride it to the grocery store and back. We left it. Three weeks later, after having the carbs apart three times, changing the plugs, and trying a spare ECM, they called and said come and get it. It wasn't fixed, "just get it out of here" was the basic response. A retired automotive mechanic heard it run and said "I can fix it, there ain't an engine built I can't fix". Wrong! One carburetor rebuild, one trigger wheel and two weeks later it was back at home. Not right, but it ran acceptably. By now it's winter of 2017. I dumped in some fuel stabilizer, put the maintainer on her, and put her to bed for three months. Spring of 2018 I got her out of the garage, hit the starter and she sprang to life, ready to roll. I thought. We didn't get a mile from the house before it started to spit and sputter at almost any rpm. So here I sit. A beautiful 95SE that runs like crap, 5 grand invested in repairs on a bike that's worth maybe that much if it ran, and a tear in my eye because I can't even ride it. So, good luck getting it back in shape and let us know what worked. I'm at the point where I'll try almost anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1995
Model: GL1500SE
All good questions but I don't know the answers. I left it in the hands of the pros at the dealership. I would say I assume that was all accomplished but you know how it is, never assume!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 12:54 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
I don't know how similar your '95 is to my '99 but I've had run/quit/run symptoms before. First one was caused by a disintegrated Emgo fuel filter. Second was a bad fuel pump. Third was a bad petcock. All three would cause intermittent failure.
CrystalPistol likes this.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM

Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Like most shops, they are now mostly populated by parts changers. It can be hard to find a good diagnostician, these days. But since your bike seems to have a fairly repeatable problem, it should not be that hard to put it on a dyno with an ignition scope and an exhaust analyzer and find out what the problem is.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:50 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by logos95 View Post
etc My 95SE did the same thing you're talking about etc
Who dat?

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:29 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
Who dat?
Logo's post was originally posted on a different thread, but because it began to hijack that thread, I moved it/gave it its own thread.
CrystalPistol likes this.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:35 AM

Year: 1984 Interstate, 82 GL1100, 79 KZ1000, 87 CR250
Model: GL1200 and GL1100
Garage
I would change fuel filter, and fuel pump. Also check the air filter if it needs changed do it too. Just sounds fuel related to me. Im sure they all checked or changed major stuff like timing. might see if its a certain cylinder if its not a certain cylinder i would for sure almost say fuel relater. Also try letting it run with the gas cap off to make sure its not a venting problem. I wish you luck, these problems are hard to find. Hope this helps.

GL1100
GL1200
KZ1000
Grizzly 600
CR250

Its always been Mind over Matter. I dont Mind You dont matter.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 11:40 AM

Garage
You can bypass the auto fuel shut off valve, simple to do and doesn't cost anything to try.
flylow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IF YOU'RE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU'RE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
A NEW START ON 1/20/2017

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page