3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2014,2005,2010
Make: Honda, Honda, and Street glide
Model: twin yellow wings
Garage
Ok now confused
H2oman post of 7/29/16 (Thread started )

Post number 4 techdude stated probe fuse RVS A if you get full power with start pushed then the issue is with the starter or power cable to it.

Post number 6 same thread again by techdude states to probe fuse RVS B if you get full power there then RELAY "A" IS GOOD AND "B " RELAY HAS AN ISSUE.

My wing has full power at RVS B when start is pushed.

Can both of his statements be true....?//

I know Techdude helps many riders here and he knows more than I will ever learn but i still cant identify if I need a starter or just relays.

HELP

fix it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mike isnt that just the power cable from the relay down to the starter post.
what are the options starter corroded, I removed and inspected the post on the relay .

is there anything in between.

fix it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlowrider View Post
Mike isnt that just the power cable from the relay down to the starter post.
what are the options starter corroded, I removed and inspected the post on the relay .

is there anything in between.
The start reverse system is fairly complicated so to make it more simple just say power goes from battery positive through relay "A" then through relay "B" then to the starter. If you have power (12 plus volts) on both of the big terminals (posts) on relay "B" the next thing in line is the starter. It is not uncommon for the terminal (post) on the starter to get corroded and insulate itself and not pass any power even though the nut is tight. If you used a jumper from the battery negative to the engine block with no change I'm going to say it is almost certainly a corrosion issue between the "B" relay and the starter. When testing always put the probe right on the post. Not on the crimped on mug at the end of the cable. You could have power on the lug but the lug is insulated from the post. Teats at the post. Starters are tough as nails on the 1500 and 1800 Goldwings. I would really suggest you go after the starter for corrosion issues. Otherwise you are just wasting time you could be riding.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thats ok Mike I have two wings this is the 2005 my real wing is a 2010 abs w/navi
But i do need to fix this one so I can sell it.

I am grasping at straws here the starter seems like a huge job and I know I could screw that up.
Dealers want lots of money to replace the starter so I want to be sure I have found the root cause.
Other people claim it is hard to remove these starters.
thanks for your input.
Brian

fix it right
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Thats ok Mike I have two wings this is the 2005 my real wing is a 2010 abs w/navi
But i do need to fix this one so I can sell it.

I am grasping at straws here the starter seems like a huge job and I know I could screw that up.
Dealers want lots of money to replace the starter so I want to be sure I have found the root cause.
Other people claim it is hard to remove these starters.
thanks for your input.
Brian
It is probably not the starter. Especially if it showed no symptoms over time. Starters usually act up then fail over time.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:57 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
You are going to have to get to the starter to be able to determine if it or the cable is the problem, it's not that bad a job once you do it. Follow this tutorial; https://www.goldwingfacts.com/18airfilter.htm to get the shelter off (be aware that there are differences in your '10 model if you decide to work on it). Then remove the fuel tank, best it be near empty. Disconnect the hoses and wires and 2 bolts at the front, take the top battery mount bolt out so the battery can tilt out some, grab the tank and roll it out to the right.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Dave 0430 and Redwing 052

thanks I reviewed the instructions for air filter replacement it is very detailed I printed it out to keep at the bike when i pull all this off.

I plan to do one last test yes I have power to the starter cable I am wondering if it is enough power.
Reading is same as battery 12.2
So today I plan to connect something that will draw some amps.to verify I have enough power to turn the starter.

Tuesday I have two known relays to arrive and will likely install them as long as my bag is already detached..

If you look back at my previous post #8 on this thread others have said the a and b fuse can be an indicator of the condition of the two relays and if they are functional.

but from those old posts I refer to in #8 there appears to be a conflict of test results from the same author (techdude).

That is why I will change out the relays before I dig into the intestines of my bike.

Thanks for the great support.

fix it right
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:04 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
If those fuses were bad the relays would not engage at all. Showing battery voltage on the output of relay B already proves the problem is farther down the line.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Dave 0430 and Redwing 052

thanks I reviewed the instructions for air filter replacement it is very detailed I printed it out to keep at the bike when i pull all this off.

I plan to do one last test yes I have power to the starter cable I am wondering if it is enough power.
Reading is same as battery 12.2
So today I plan to connect something that will draw some amps.to verify I have enough power to turn the starter.

Tuesday I have two known relays to arrive and will likely install them as long as my bag is already detached..

If you look back at my previous post #8 on this thread others have said the a and b fuse can be an indicator of the condition of the two relays and if they are functional.

but from those old posts I refer to in #8 there appears to be a conflict of test results from the same author (techdude).

That is why I will change out the relays before I dig into the intestines of my bike.

Thanks for the great support.
I know you do not want to go through trouble of taking the tank ouut but let me (and especially Dave) assure you that you are wasting your time and money. Everything on your bike is working perfect except the power is not getting from the "B" relay to the starter. .......or the starter is bad. (Nah) Keep your money in your pocket. Save time and take the tank off. The problem is there. Either the connection or the starter. Have it running by 4:00 today. . When Dave writes "If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong" he is right again.. Bite the bullet and fix it.

Mike

post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
WA LA solved thanks to Dave 043 and Redwing 052

I now totally agree the problem is at the starter but its not what you think.

while on ebay looking for starters there were engines listed I looked at a few to see how hard it would be to get to that bottom bolt on the starter .

there it was right in front of me the started resides behind the reverse cables .

I wonder what happens if I slide a 3/8 ratchet extension in there and whack the starter case.

ok thirty seconds later my bike was running.

sometimes the brushes are spring loaded and corrosion or grime prevent the brushes from connecting with the armature .

one whack an it was loose .

I started it about 75 times reverse works better than ever.

save this thread maybe it can help someone stranded .

ok perhaps this is only a band aid but someone could make it home after a failure.
I am not saying beat the heck out of the starter cas if this condition exists it usually only takes one whack.

learned this from an old top sargent in the marine corps 1969

Last edited by AZgl1800; 06-30-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: > lowercase

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page