Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   1800 starter relay test problems help (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/667917-1800-starter-relay-test-problems-help.html)

vtlowrider 06-29-2019 02:38 PM

1800 starter relay test problems help

Ok I want to avoid the cost and time involved with replacing my starter on my 2005 yellow wing.
I removed the left bag to get to the A and B relays (they look like solonoids to me )..

on the B solonoid Blue connector I believe this one goes to the starter. I put my meter on the 2 big connections turned the key on pushed the start button and got (inside 12.3 volts) (out side to starter 12.2 volts) is that enough to energize the starter.??

on the A solonoid REd connector line in always hot 12.2 volts Push the start button 12.3 volts going to B.

I believe the output side of B goes direct to the starter is that correct and looking at the voltage do I have enough power.

I am going crazy trying to get this bike to start .

checked all connections, cleaned up ground cable connection.

first symptom last weekend went in to eat came out just click checked everything then rocked bike in gear and it started,
ran all week then did it again rocked bike nothing changed battery with my other gold wing it started but then would not start again.

I can feel the plunger in both solonoids with my hand click when i push start,
I just want to be sure before i tackel the started any technical info would be great.

vtlowrider 06-29-2019 02:42 PM

note this is also posted in test forum

Ok I want to avoid the cost and time involved with replacing my starter on my 2005 yellow wing.
I removed the left bag to get to the A and B relays (they look like solonoids to me )..

on the B solonoid Blue connector I believe this one goes to the starter. I put my meter on the 2 big connections turned the key on pushed the start button and got (inside 12.3 volts) (out side to starter 12.2 volts) is that enough to energize the starter.??

on the A solonoid REd connector line in always hot 12.2 volts Push the start button 12.3 volts going to B.

I believe the output side of B goes direct to the starter is that correct ???? and looking at the voltage do I have enough power.

I am going crazy trying to get this bike to start .

checked all connections, cleaned up ground cable connection.

first symptom last weekend went in to eat came out just click checked everything then rocked bike in gear and it started,
ran all week then did it again rocked bike nothing..... changed battery with my other gold wing it started but then would not start again.

I can feel the plunger in both solonoids with my hand click when i push start,
I just want to be sure before i tackle the started any technical info would be great.

redwing52 06-29-2019 03:21 PM

Try a jumper cable from battery negative to the engine. I doubt it but easy test. Next you have to get at the starter. Test right on the starter post for 12 volts. Bet you do not have it. Bad connection between solenoid "B" and the starter. Others have had same issue.

vtlowrider 06-29-2019 03:31 PM

Mike thanks tried that but no luck I also had already removed the ground on the other side and cleaned up the contact point with fine sandpaper.

Note i have 12.2 volts from B direct to the starter
looks like a lot of work to get to that starter

redwing52 06-29-2019 03:47 PM

Dave said the tank must come out but not a bad job. I've never done one. Just go for it. If you have 12 volts coming out of relay "B" it has to get to the starter and all will be well. Assuming the ground and starter are good and they seldom fail.

redwing52 06-29-2019 03:56 PM

vtlowrider 06-29-2019 05:37 PM

Ok I took the battery from my 2010 goldwing and switched them out the bike still wont turn over and the other bike runs fine with the other battery.
That eliminated my question of do I have enough voltage.

redwing52 06-29-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtlowrider (Post 5850399)
Ok I took the battery from my 2010 goldwing and switched them out the bike still wont turn over and the other bike runs fine with the other battery.
That eliminated my question of do I have enough voltage.

Yes, that was a waste of time. If it were a battery issue voltage would have dropped to near zero if the starter did not run or even attempt to run. Your voltage at relay (solenoid) "B" is good. Now you have to get it from "B" to the starter. Not sure but maybe a tug on the cable that goes to the starter will move it and if yout lucky you might get the starter to work. At least temporarily. Also might do nothing tugging on it. Your going to have to get at the starter to fix the issue. If everything you are saying is accurate and it sounds right.

DenverWinger 06-29-2019 06:59 PM

So the relays (call 'em solenoids if you want but they are relays) are both working. Now measure + at the starter terminal and - on engine block, if you see 12 volts there when you push the start button the starter needs to come out for repair.

vtlowrider 06-29-2019 07:59 PM

I am leaning towards the starter

but one last question is while this was in fail mode the other day i did get it to start one last time when I tried reverse it worked fine.
So would reverse work if the starter motor is shot. it worked fine in reverse then I shut it off and it has only clicked since then.
Going out to the garage to try to jumper the pos on Battery to the big lug on B

I have relays coming so may install them any way ......................

then it looks like I am off to a shop to change the starter,$$$$$$$