New to the Goldwing with questions - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Had a 2008 1800 (have sold) and enjoyed the ride. Did some 40,000 Kms on it the first year I owned it. Before I bought it researched the 1800 to find out the issues. Tire longevity and suspension came to the top of the list. Suspension on the 1800s is great when new but wears out quickly. A suspension upgrade/renewal will make a significant difference in ride quality and bike performance. A suspension upgrade will also benefit tire wear, only aspect of the bike keeping the tires firmly planted on the road. Worn suspension will allow the tires to "hop" and become cupped.

Changing the steering stem bearings is a good idea. Honda uses a bicycle type bearing from the factory - attachment called bearing - instead of a tapered bearing such as All Balls. See attachments.

Check out the fork braces as well, but this should be done after the suspension has been upgraded/renewed. A fork brace is not a substitute for a worn suspension.

A set of Progressive monotube cartridge kit, and a rear shock upgrade will make a hug difference, the Traxion suspension "Full Monty" is the Cadillac, but more expensive. I did the Traxion suspension on my 1800 when I had it - raised the bike about an inch so no more scraping pegs.

Honda fork suspension has one side doing all the work and this affects how the front forks work.

It's quite amazing how much a new suspension will benefit your ride.

Just a few thoughts. Good Luck. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearing.jpg (16.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg taper-roller-bearing-500x500.jpg (21.2 KB, 2 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page