New to the Goldwing with questions - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2001
Model: GL1800
New to the Goldwing with questions

The bike runs great. The one big question I have is, why do my handlebars wobble between 30 and 40 mph? Is that something that is normal or something that I can correct? The Goldwing I have is 2001 with 51,000 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey03 View Post
The bike runs great. The one big question I have is, why do my handlebars wobble between 30 and 40 mph? Is that something that is normal or something that I can correct? The Goldwing I have is 2001 with 51,000 miles on it.

Normal? Hmmm....

Sorry to tell you that your Goldwing is not a rare highly sought after special edition. If normal means it happens to 95% of the bikes on the road then I guess it's normal. If you search for wobble, you will find enough reading for a week as well as twenty possible fixes. You will also find that it is perfectly normal according to Honda because it only happens when you have one hand on the bars and the manual clearly says to keep both on the bars at all times.

In no particular order:
increase front tire pressure to 41psi
increase rear tire pressure to 38psi
new tires front and rear (two whole subforums just on choices)
new stem bearings
fork brace (three brands to choose from)
wheel bearings
swing arm bearings
AZgl1800 and limpy45 like this.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

WOW! It is as I have thought but, is it safe to ride? What are the. choices on the fork braces and do they work or just a waste of time putting them on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:11 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
In most cases that wobble does not exist when the tires are new. As the tires wear down the wobble usually starts to happen.

However you can also have a wobble from loose steering stem bearings (steering nut not correctly torqued).

Fork braces primarily improve handling at slow speed moving around. Prevents the forks from flexing while turning.

You are safe riding with the wobble (keep both hands on the handlebars).
CrystalPistol and limpy45 like this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Just keep both hands on the handlebars.

It only happens in a slight deceleration mode like coast when a rider takes a hand off the grips, there is slight weight shift to front, only one hand on, and that weight shift slightly compresses forks, making for more sensitive steering.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Year: 1999
Model: 1999 GL1500SE, soon to be sold 2007 GL1800 PA
While you are checking around the net about 'fork wobble' you will find out that almost ALL brands have that happen at one time or another. Even HD has that problem, believe it or not!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. It sounds to me like I have to have the bearings replaced and the bolt torqued to the correct tightness
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

One other thing, when I take both hands off, the bike will lean to the left and steer that way. If I want to go straight, I have to lean to the right side of the bike.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
my 2002 has the Traxxion Suspension package.
so far, in 14,000 miles, it has never once wobbled with hands completely off.
and it has the 'SuperBrace' brand fitted...

I have added the SuperBrace to every Goldwing I have owned, and the difference in slow speed handling is immediately apparent. and '84, '94, '98 and it came on my '02.

I have ridden it for miles without holding the handlebars....
just as an experiment though, don't do it as a regular practice.

~ John

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:04 AM

How old are the tires and how do they look? I would probably go there before the stem bearings but that's just me. I like the Superbrace brand but there are supporters of other brands.

Just to fill in the blanks for my experiences.

Got the wobble on my GL1500 shortly after I bought it. New tires fixed it (Michelin Pilots). Some time later replaced stem bearings and fork seals/bushings. Added a Superbrace and liked the results. After Pilots wore out I went Double Darkside (Austone and BattleAx). Wobble free.

I bought my GL1800 used with 4000 miles and I noticed it had a bit of wobble already. Dealer had set up with front tire pressure on low end and original owner never did anything. In fact the TPMS light would come on until the tires warmed up. The front already was showing some cupping.

My first upgrade list included a Superbrace. Of course I upped the pressures (41psi on front) and didn't notice the wobble again. But I couldn't stand the OEM rear tire and at 7000 changed to Bridgestone Driveguard runflat at 31psi. I also installed Helibars which help with comfort but also stiffen the forks.

Closing in on 10k on the front. Cupped and singing but no wobble. Bridgestone BattleAx and Centramatic balancers in the garage ready to go, probably this month.

I also notice a drifting sometimes. Most of the time I don't notice. Sorta like countersteering. I don't think about it, just natural.

DARKSIDE #1500

2015 Goldwing - basic black

Previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500, Valkyrie, Valkyrie Interstate many other Hondas

Ham Extra Class AC1R

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page