Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   Cooling fan running too much (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/668015-cooling-fan-running-too-much.html)

Matt78Gl1000 07-05-2019 10:31 PM

Cooling fan running too much

Hello all, what would cause my cooling fan to run for what seems like way to long before it shuts down? the engine temp will reach about half way then the fan will kick on but it will stay on until the needle in the temp gauge is back to the clear area, I feel like it just runs way more than necessary and it hell on the battery

CrystalPistol 07-05-2019 11:01 PM

Never had a GL1000, but when my 1200 was up near 1/2 way, fan come on and I was happy. It stayed on till gage dropped back some.

Bike...and Dennis 07-05-2019 11:11 PM

May be an aftermarket fan switch.

DenverWinger 07-06-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt78Gl1000 (Post 5851829)
Hello all, what would cause my cooling fan to run for what seems like way to long before it shuts down? the engine temp will reach about half way then the fan will kick on but it will stay on until the needle in the temp gauge is back to the clear area, I feel like it just runs way more than necessary and it hell on the battery

You didn't say if it's doing this just sitting there idling (which I'd expect) or running down the road. Down the road the fan likely doesn't come on at all unless it's a very hot day or you are in stop/go traffic. You might hook up an indicator light to your fan so you can see when it's running as you drive. I'd say it's probably not a problem, most fan switch complaints are for fans that won't come on at all and coolant boils over in city traffic.

Fan control switch is in the front of the engine on top of the block by the thermostat housing. Little chance of finding an OEM switch, but someone here may know of an automotive replacement switch that will thread in there and work.

Matt78Gl1000 07-06-2019 08:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverWinger (Post 5851853)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt78Gl1000 (Post 5851829)

You didn't say if it's doing this just sitting there idling (which I'd expect) or running down the road. Down the road the fan likely doesn't come on at all unless it's a very hot day or you are in stop/go traffic. You might hook up an indicator light to your fan so you can see when it's running as you drive. I'd say it's probably not a problem, most fan switch complaints are for fans that won't come on at all and coolant boils over in city traffic.

Fan control switch is in the front of the engine on top of the block by the thermostat housing. Little chance of finding an OEM switch, but someone here may know of an automotive replacement switch that will thread in there and work.

Sorry, yes, I suspect it's also running while cruising down the road, I'll get to a stop light and it will be running and my voltage goes way down, I'll try to rig up an indicator light to know for sure. will running too much be a danger for my charging system or battery?

AZgl1800 07-06-2019 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt78Gl1000 (Post 5851859)
Sorry, yes, I suspect it's also running while cruising down the road, I'll get to a stop light and it will be running and my voltage goes way down, I'll try to rig up an indicator light to know for sure.

will running too much be a danger for my charging system or battery?

only if you are sitting for an extended time, or running at idle speeds too long, if you keep the RPMs at 2500+ the battery should stay charged.

when I get trapped in traffic, I keep the transmission in a low gear, so the RPMs stay up where the stator/alternator will keep the battery is good shape. it is not going to effect your MPG

I have a Voltmeter installed where I can keep an eye on the status of the electrical system.

DaveO430 07-06-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt78Gl1000 (Post 5851859)
will running too much be a danger for my charging system or battery?

It won't hurt the charging system, may actually be good for it since it keeps the regulator from getting hot from shunting excess power to ground but it could run the battery down.

Matt78Gl1000 07-06-2019 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try to rig up a indicator light to see just how much it's running while I'm moving

BadMonk's1200 07-11-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalPistol (Post 5851831)
Never had a GL1000, but when my 1200 was up near 1/2 way, fan come on and I was happy. It stayed on till gage dropped back some.

Same here with 1200.

tlbranth 07-13-2019 01:31 PM

The OEM switch seems to cause problems sometimes. Mine would come on at more or less the right temp but then stay on. I disassembled and cleaned it to no avail. Then I replaced it with an automotive switch and matching connector. I wired in a relay for it too. It works fine and a replacement is cheap and easy to find. I documented my efforts on NGW here: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewto...switch#p714582