How to remove rear tire - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:15 AM

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800A
Garage
What I do: 1) I remove the license plate, plate carrier, then remove the four remaining bolts for rear center fender. Pull down as well as out, as there are "tabs" on side of fender edges. I also remove the two bolts for bracket between the saddlebags.
2)Loosen wheel nuts 1/2 turn each by rolling bike ahead, in first gear, so nut you want to loosen is at BDC. I roll bike forward 1/5 of a revolution until all 5 lug nuts are loosened.
3) Put bike back into Neutral. Put GL1800 on center stand. Then use a 1/2" wrench with a long 19 m.m. socket and 2" extension and simply spin the tire around(Backwards) to loosen the lug nuts.
4) After lowering rim off of spindle, you'll quickly see that you cannot remove it, due to the black box in the way. Beginning in 2006, an amplifier was added. Guess where they put it? I simply and carefully undue the "rubber tarp" from it's holders and peel it back. You can't remove it all the way as it is riveted at the back. Now, remove the 4 bolts on the side of the amp box. Then, remove the two small 8 m.m. head bolts from the rear of the box. You can now remove the amp from the box. Hold both pieces in your right hand.
5)Hold the two pieces up and out of the way as you quickly and easily remove the tire/rim combo. Lean the wheel up against something stable. Then, insert the amp back into the plastic box. Do not put any of the 4 side bolts back on, for now. But, line up the inner fender/amp box unit and secure it in place with the two bolts that you removed from the back. Do them up 1/2 way. You can now get your new tires put on. Make sure you have all removed fasteners put away, and marked for location, because it may take a while to get those new tires mounted. After a short time, I have forgot where to put the correct fasteners back. They can also get lost if they are just laying by the bike.
You don't need to unplug anything this way, lay er' down, remove the seat, etc..
Hope this helps!

I was so happy to be on my 'Wing that I patted her tank and was laughing in my helmet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 05:05 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt750 View Post
2)Loosen wheel nuts 1/2 turn each by rolling bike ahead, in first gear, so nut you want to loosen is at BDC. I roll bike forward 1/5 of a revolution until all 5 lug nuts are loosened.
!
Why not just put it on the center stand, put it in 1st gear and loosen the nuts?

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Year: 2016
Model: Nav,ABS
Garage
Ok,does anyone know how high u have to get rear wheel off the ground to get clearance to remove rear tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=Drnick;5855637]Ok,does anyone know how high u have to get rear wheel off the ground to get clearance to remove rear tire?[/QUOTE

Between 4 and 5 inches. I have my wheel off right now and just measured. I'd say 4" will do it, but to be sure I said between 4 and 5". Is very easy and quick to remve the amp though.

I was so happy to be on my 'Wing that I patted her tank and was laughing in my helmet!
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
Why not just put it on the center stand, put it in 1st gear and loosen the nuts?
Because it's too hard to get clearance to turn the breaker bar the amount needed when the nuts are up top. Way easier to have the nut at the bottom when I loosen it. I've also just had it on the center stand, in neutral, put the wrench on, rolled the wheel to put the nut and wrench at the bottom, then clicked it into gear to loosen the nut. Repeat 4 more times, then remove wheel!

post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gt750, only 4-5”! So In theory,while bike is on center stand, if u lift bike another 4-5”, u can remove rear wheel. Correct?
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drnick View Post
Gt750, only 4-5! So In theory,while bike is on center stand, if u lift bike another 4-5, u can remove rear wheel. Correct?
I'd say you only need 3 or 3.5" more, on the center stand.

post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, only 3-4 “ lift! Thanks for that info
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:03 AM
Mohaski

Year: 1978/1984
Model: 1978 Goldwing w/either 79 or 1981 engine, whichever is running & 84 GL1200
Send a message via MSN to realetybytes
Try putting it up on cinder blocks, put it on it's center stand, and take out the cinder blocks under the rear wheel. Strap the front tire down for security and stability.

"Lead or get...no, just get out of the way..."
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:27 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
sounds like an awful lot of trouble, and time, to avoid laying it over and being done in 10 minutes.

I have never heard of anyone damaging the bike, laying it over.
my first time, I did it on flat ground with a furniture pallet under it,
cleared all of the Baker Wind Wings and the Mick.O.Pegs

all I did was remove the pegs themselves from the swing arms.
a 30 second job.
pidjones likes this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page