How to remove rear tire - Page 6 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:06 AM

Model: '06 GL1800, '78 GL1000 with '75 motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
When I flew down to Tampa, FL to get my 'new to me' "98SE", I had a duffel bag sitting up vertical on the pillion seat. it was strapped in solid, and weighed about 50+ lbs..... boots, heavy coat, rain gear, two weeks of laundry so I did not have to do any going home....

when I started out heading north on I-75, I was about to pass a horse trailer that was in the right lane, I was about 45* behind and to his left....

The left front trailer tire blew up, the entire casing came off the inner core, and it made a direct hit to the front of my "brand new" bike....

luckily the casing struck a glancing blow on the right side, swiping off some chrome bits...... I could see some pieces hanging out, so decided to pull over to check it out.

the berm was slanted downhill about 15 degrees..... that usually does not bother me, but that 98SE had a Heel Toe shifter and floorboards....

those floorboards prevented me from getting my right foot down onto the terra firma, and down we went to the right side. I just pulled my foot up and let it go.

the crash guards did exactly what they were supposed to, nothing was broken, not even the Baker Wind wings.

Instead of unstrapping the duffel bag, I picked it up and set it up and over onto the side stand..... lord uh mercy, it was almost more than I could do.... that was one hell of a load....... never again, I will unload the bike first..
In the mid-70's, I picked up a friend's 550 Honda with sissy bar loaded with bedroll, clothes, Ovation guitar in hard case. Uphill out of a ditch. Once. I was in mid-20s. I know better (and better ways to do it), now.

BTW, the service tech at Honda doesn't lay it over (Oh, I did it again last night to put the newly mounted set back on - remember to let the air pressure down to about 5 psi to get a car tire in). The Honda teck has a trap door on his lift that he can drop, to drop the tire out the bottom. I don't think that is in the FSM, either.

"Love 'em all... Let God sort 'em out!"
'52 wife - '69 daughter - '83 daughter
ex '86 SE-i
ex '77 GL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
BTW, the service tech at Honda doesn't lay it over (Oh, I did it again last night to put the newly mounted set back on - remember to let the air pressure down to about 5 psi to get a car tire in). The Honda teck has a trap door on his lift that he can drop, to drop the tire out the bottom. I don't think that is in the FSM, either.
I had a rear tire put on the '98SE at an independent m/c shop locally.

he too, had that Drop Floor door on his lift.
he just strapped the front of the bike down hard, left it on the center stand, and dropped the door down.
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:02 AM

Year: 88 GL1500 2014 GL1800
Model: GL1500 with sidecar and GL1800
The layover option of removing the back wheel on GL1800 should it be required when travelling compared to removing the back wheel on my old 1500 was one of the reasons I upgraded. To date I have only had to remove it when at home and use my jack which picks up on the centre stand and the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20190722_001.jpg (98.4 KB, 11 views)
AZgl1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Year: 2015
Make: Honda
Model: Audio Comfort
Garage
I just had to replace my rear tire due to a nice screw being stuck in it. I checked my service manual and it said to put the bike on the center stand, remove the center piece between the saddlebags and then remove the lug nuts and the tire comes right out. What do you know, I did that and it indeed come right out. Only part I needed help with is for my wife to apply the brakes while I loosen and tighten the lugs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page