Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   How to remove rear tire (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/668169-how-remove-rear-tire.html)

Drnick 07-17-2019 06:30 PM

How to remove rear tire

2016 wing; how do u remove rear tire without removing seat handles plastics etc ? Iíve seen videos of laying bike on its side:surprise:but Iím not gonna do that🙄

DaveO430 07-17-2019 06:36 PM

Laying it down is by far the easiest but if you won't you can remove the rear panel and some other parts and take it out the back or if you have a motorcycle jack you can remove it from the bottom. Removing the seat handles? that wouldn't be any help.

AZgl1800 07-17-2019 09:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drnick (Post 5854227)
2016 wing; how do u remove rear tire without removing seat handles plastics etc ? Iíve seen videos of laying bike on its side:surprise:but Iím not gonna do that🙄

Why not?

the engine guards keep all of the plastics from touching the ground.

I put down a furniture pad from HF, doubled it up.

laid it over, and then put a jack under the center stand to push it up over even more.

Still had 2 inches of clearance from the mirrors and Side Wings to the pad.

makes for a 5 minute job to lay it down, 5 minutes to get the bolts off and slide the tire out.

the last time, I did w/o the pad, used an old pallet. After it was laid over on the pallet and that roller at the back, I slipped the floor jack under the center stand and raised it up more. oodles of room to make it easy on my back.

88goldwing 07-18-2019 12:22 PM

I had a rear tire so damaged it wouldn't hold air long enough to get to a tire shop to get it replaced. I did the "lay down" method on my garage floor, then found out the shop had to order a tire. Ended up leaving it on its side for 3 days until I could get the tire replaced. Looked sad, but no ill effects once I got it re-mounted and vertical again. That's when I discovered the tire guy had destroyed the TPMS sensor - but that's another story!

joe in calif 07-19-2019 10:41 AM

I did it on an 05 but know your 16 might be different but I just put it on the center stand, took off the rear panel and slid it out the back. Of course loosen the lugs before you do anything.

AZgl1800 07-19-2019 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe in calif (Post 5854643)
I did it on an 05 but know your 16 might be different but I just put it on the center stand, took off the rear panel and slid it out the back. Of course loosen the lugs before you do anything.

those of us that have trailer hitches make that impossible.
it has to drop out from the bottom, and laying it down on the right side, is the easiest way to do the job.

Dodge 07-19-2019 03:02 PM

In my case it takes two to pick it up. I use a jack and strap it down. Almost to weak to do it that way as well ! LOL

AZgl1800 07-19-2019 07:42 PM

with my right shoulder all bunged up, I am afraid that I would not be able to pick mine up again either.

Dang it, but that rock last March, damn sure ruined a good shoulder.
doing lots of PT every week now for six weeks, it is better, but no where near normal.

I can comb my hair now with my right hand, just barely, but I cannot reach behind my neck like I can easily with my left hand.

Dodge 07-20-2019 10:16 AM

wish I had some hair !!!! LOL

Indianawantsme 07-21-2019 07:04 PM

2012 ... I do the layover method now also...

PIA do take passenger arm rests off, seat off, rear center fender, center portion of hitch, unplug connector for amplifier, remove bolts for inner fender and crossmember strut for inner fender and remove the whole thing.

My amplifier connector under the seat absolutely would not come out the rear without me modifying the inner fender. No matter what i tried there was not an area larger enough for that huge connector to fit through.

Hitch strut is definitely in the way now for connector to come through and would have to be removed also besides the center portion of Bushtec hitch.