HELP - won't start - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2013
Make: Honda
Model: Level 2
HELP - won't start

Got back from Michigan yesterday after 3k mile trip. Bike rolled over 100k so I'm doing sparkplugs and air filter among other things. Went to start bike after air filter change and nothing happens. Lights go dim but no crank. Shouldn't need seat plugged in for bike to start should I? That's the only thing that isn't. I pulled everything backoff thinking I left a plug loose. I double checked all the ones that were unplugged. Any ideas? I refuse to take to dealer. The last time under extended warranty they changed my air filter and stripped two of the bolts. Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flogler

2013 1800 Goldwing currently heading to 103k miles. New front tire-Trying Elite 4
New rear tire -trying elite 4(first one went 3k before nail took it out and destroyed tire)
1996 1500 Aspencade 225000 miles (Sold for 2000$)
Back from Sturgis trip 5300 miles and 9 days later(2016).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:53 PM

Year: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by flogler View Post
Got back from Michigan yesterday after 3k mile trip. Bike rolled over 100k so I'm doing sparkplugs and air filter among other things. Went to start bike after air filter change and nothing happens. Lights go dim but no crank. Shouldn't need seat plugged in for bike to start should I? That's the only thing that isn't. I pulled everything backoff thinking I left a plug loose. I double checked all the ones that were unplugged. Any ideas? I refuse to take to dealer. The last time under extended warranty they changed my air filter and stripped two of the bolts. Thanks in advance
Check the kill switch position? Is the engine light coming on when you turn on the key? If the light isnít coming on, then did you unplug the Bank Angle Sensor(BAS) and forget to reconnect it?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2013
Model: Level 2
You are correct!!! I was asking my son what I should check and he said same thing. It WAS turned off and now it starts. Thanks for quick reply. Now for a second time I get to put back together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flogler

2013 1800 Goldwing currently heading to 103k miles. New front tire-Trying Elite 4
New rear tire -trying elite 4(first one went 3k before nail took it out and destroyed tire)
1996 1500 Aspencade 225000 miles (Sold for 2000$)
Back from Sturgis trip 5300 miles and 9 days later(2016).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 PM

Year: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by flogler View Post
You are correct!!! I was asking my son what I should check and he said same thing. It WAS turned off and now it starts. Thanks for quick reply. Now for a second time I get to put back together.
Glad it was something easy, sorry you got practice removing all that stuff twice.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
Before you put all the covers back on, , , consider making sure you have "cover keepers" of some sort on it, , , it'll be a godsend in the long run.

Just my 02 cents, , , ,
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUTHUNDR31 View Post
Before you put all the covers back on, , , consider making sure you have "cover keepers" of some sort on it, , , it'll be a godsend in the long run.

Just my 02 cents, , , ,

Ok for the lurking: whatís a cover keeper? What does a bank angle sensor have to do w an air filter element?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:03 PM

Year: 1991
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
"Keepers" are any method that will keep your (very) expensive covers attached to the bike even if they come out of their "holders"(grommets). Some use nylon straps, or hi-test fishing line, or tie wraps, with clips/clasps/S-biners etc. . .

The BAS will prevent the motor from starting if it is not connected, , ,the OP said after he put in the air filter the bike wouldn't start. The BAS has nothing to do with the air filter, , ,but EVERYTHING to do with a "no start" issue in some cases.

Last edited by BLUTHUNDR31; 07-26-2019 at 12:26 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:19 AM

Year: 1993
Model: GL1500 Aspencade
I have had my kill switch turned off in a parking lot
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 AM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Yup, that happened to me a couple of months ago.

Fortunately, if bike doesn't start idling the instant I push the button, I know something is amiss and that switch is where I first look.

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 10:38 AM

Year: 2000 & 1994
Model: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red, 1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by digr View Post
Yep, I have too! One time my buddy and I had stopped for lunch and he had already pulled out after we ate. I got on mine and it wouldn't do anything when I tried to start it. I called him and he turned around and came back. When he got there, he reached over and turned my kill switch back on and said "try it now". Boy, that was embarrassing! I have been riding for about 45 years and never had that happen before. I never turn that switch off but somehow it got moved that day. So yeah, it happens to all of us at times.

Larry

Only two things are infinite... the universe and human stupidity; and I am not sure about the former.
-- Albert Einstein

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page