Please help me restore this old GL1200 - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:49 AM
Moderator
 
Bike...and Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale, Arizona, USA
Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Posts: 21,551
This is what you're looking for. Tell them it's for a Toyota Turcel. The key number is 070.




Why ain't we ridin'?
Bike...and Dennis is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:44 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator
 
AZgl1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Oologah, Indian Territory, USA...
Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Posts: 56,872
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
This is what you're looking for. Tell them it's for a Toyota Turcel. The key number is 070.

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-T070-Ti.../dp/B000C2SJWW
got a funny for you Dennis, went I clicked on that link, Amazon declared it won't fit my truck

This does not fit your:
2001 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
AZgl1800 is online now  
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Moderator
 
Bike...and Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Glendale, Arizona, USA
Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Posts: 21,551
Yeah, I got the same message about my 2002 Accent.

Why ain't we ridin'?
Bike...and Dennis is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 05:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Posts: 61
Get this manual on ebay

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Sprocketrocket55 is offline  
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Average Goldwing Rider
 
JamesPal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bellevue, Washington, USA
Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Posts: 1,014
Brakes, I usually replace the brake lines, new caliper seals and master cylinder rebuild kits. If that bike has the original brake lines they are due to be replaced. There are people on this site that will flush and fill the brakes. It is up to you.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JamesPal is offline  
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 06:26 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Nebraska
Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
Posts: 61
To change brake/clutch fluid I suck or sop all the old fluid from the master cylinder, then ad some fresh fluid pump the handle/pedal to get the gunk out of the cylinder, sop out the fluid again and add fresh and bleed. This way no air gets in.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
Sprocketrocket55 is offline  
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
BrianInPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lebanon, Pennsylvania, USA
Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Posts: 17,087
Garage
Just in case you are not aware... you want to be very careful with how you handle some of the parts on the GL1200 Standard as they are made from unobtainium. If you misplace, lose, or break them, it may take you years to find a replacement. The front run signal brackets, the plastic pieces that cover radiator opening, the seat grab rail to name a few.

Brian
BrianInPA is offline  
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Fatboy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Kuwait
Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Standard
Posts: 21
Garage
Hello again,

I had a bit of time today and opened up the timing belt, I ordered some things from Amazon.com, timing belts, carb rebuild kits, fork seals, brake pads, filters and all maintenance items.

Some more questions if you don't mind answering:

1- Both the brake and clutch master cylinders are dried and rusted, site glass broken and diaphragm ripped, is it better just to buy the two site glasses and diaphragms and rebuild? or just buy any generic sets like the link below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Brake-Clu...4AAOSwoydWizIJ

This is listed as 1", but my handlebar width are 22mm or 7/8" so can I buy this and shim it? I can't find both the left and right sets anywhere

2- In the picture of the disc attached, there are no holes to use a Disc Lock, how do you guys protect your bikes against theft? when left on the streets? can I drill a couple of holes on the disk? below the pad grip zones?

3- Is there a way to easily hand polish all the metal parts on this bike to bring back some shine and luster? everything is faded or rusted. what product do you guys recommend?

4- Can I use any generic fuel pump for this bike? any brands other then Honda oem?



Thanking you all again for your time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18e30d46-c843-47cf-8c70-fca7241df5db.jpg (69.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 0a7349d7-8926-4569-bbe9-91c37a31570d.jpg (113.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 667e4c2e-584d-44a7-bd66-dd0603aa0a25.jpg (104.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 82905bc4-b113-4b93-adad-f78f68ae5341.jpg (95.1 KB, 5 views)

1984 GL1200
Fatboy123 is online now  
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Senior Member
 
lionelgo50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, , USA
Posts: 8,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy123 View Post
Hello again,

Some more questions if you don't mind answering:

1- Both the brake and clutch master cylinders are dried and rusted, site glass broken and diaphragm ripped, is it better just to buy the two site glasses and diaphragms and rebuild? or just buy any generic sets like the link below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Brake-Clu...4AAOSwoydWizIJ

This is listed as 1", but my handlebar width are 22mm or 7/8" so can I buy this and shim it? I can't find both the left and right sets anywhere

2- In the picture of the disc attached, there are no holes to use a Disc Lock, how do you guys protect your bikes against theft? when left on the streets? can I drill a couple of holes on the disk? below the pad grip zones?

3- Is there a way to easily hand polish all the metal parts on this bike to bring back some shine and luster? everything is faded or rusted. what product do you guys recommend?



Thanking you all again for your time.

1. I'd try looking for OEM parts maybe even from a motorcycle Junk Yard or recycler.

2. If it were me I wouldn't drill the rotor. If you want to lock up the bike a good strong lock and thick cable like for a heavy duty winch one for the front and one for the rear tire routed around the frame would slow down the process of stealing the bike. Don't forget to remove before riding off !!!! Of course if someone wanted to steal it bad enough nothing will stop them.

3. Mother's metal polish - by hand won't be easy - but is doable - if you have a drill get a polishing attachment type buffing wheel to help speed up the process.

Dave
Ride Safe and Ride Often, Keep the Shiny Side up and Many Happy Miles and Smiles.

In God We Trust; All Others Must pay Cash!!!

Current Goldwing 2016 Gl1800 Matte Silver

Other Rides

2007 Honda 110cc

Past Rides

2 1985 Goldwing Aspencades, 2006 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200, 2006 Goldwing Navi, 2007 Honda Rebel, 1994 1500cc Goldwing Interstate, 2010 Gl1800 Trike, 1997 GL1500 SE, 2012 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail
lionelgo50 is offline  
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:39 AM
mod-erator
 
DaveO430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Amity, Arkansas, USA
Model: 2010 GL1800
Posts: 24,013
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy123 View Post
Hello again,

I had a bit of time today and opened up the timing belt, I ordered some things from Amazon.com, timing belts, carb rebuild kits, fork seals, brake pads, filters and all maintenance items.

Some more questions if you don't mind answering:

1- Both the brake and clutch master cylinders are dried and rusted, site glass broken and diaphragm ripped, is it better just to buy the two site glasses and diaphragms and rebuild? or just buy any generic sets like the link below...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Brake-Clu...4AAOSwoydWizIJ

This is listed as 1", but my handlebar width are 22mm or 7/8" so can I buy this and shim it? I can't find both the left and right sets anywhere

2- In the picture of the disc attached, there are no holes to use a Disc Lock, how do you guys protect your bikes against theft? when left on the streets? can I drill a couple of holes on the disk? below the pad grip zones?

3- Is there a way to easily hand polish all the metal parts on this bike to bring back some shine and luster? everything is faded or rusted. what product do you guys recommend?

4- Can I use any generic fuel pump for this bike? any brands other then Honda oem?



Thanking you all again for your time.
If yours are rebuildable do that. Those replacements don't look like they have the necessary brake and clutch switches and no goldwing has 1" handlebars, they are all 22mm (7/8").

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.


NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
DaveO430 is offline  
Reply

  Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome