Fix or sale for parts? - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:03 PM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500SE
Everything said above is good information. I have a 93 SE that has had a couple of issues over the years just like what you describe. Probably the biggest issue though has been the alcohol that gets put in the gasoline now days. Being in the northwest, the bike sits for most of the winter and the gas in the carburetor bowls gradually evaporates and leaves what look like crystals in the jets. One spring the bike would not run so I figured I'd pull the carbs and give them a once over and reinstall with a detailed adjustment. I had to use welding torch tip cleaners to get the hardened crap out of the jets. Now I drain the bowls when the bike is going to sit for a month or more and put SeaFoam in the tank.

My last thought is that old motorcycles will always need some kind of maintenance and repair no matter what brand. It is not realistic to believe that all you will ever have to do is turn the key on and ride away into the sunset without having to twist a wrench on something at sometime. If you want to work on it yourself just about anything about a wing can be found here.
Bayouwinger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing
Model: Interstate
Update: I picked the bike up from Bayou Honda, stopped by the gas station and gassed it up on the trailer. It took about 4 gal to fill, so I had gas. When I gassed up the bike, I noticed that someone had taken the gas cap off - it was jus sitting there loose under the compartment door. When I got home, I charged the battery and the bike started fine. Will the gas cap off cause the bike not to start?
My next step is to order the slave cylinder for the clutch, and change it out.

I can't say enough about Bayou Honda though. Charged me $50 to put an estimate together that covered replacing anything that could possibly be related to a bike not starting without even trying to start the bike themselves. Nice troubleshooting technique. I call that the shotgun approach. Nice people to shoot the bull with, but I won't recommend them to anyone for repair troubleshooting.
flylow likes this.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing
Model: Interstate
I ordered a clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder rebuild kit from amazon, and a shop manual pdf from emanual online. I will get the bike going and move on from there. I still don't understand why Honda shops refuse to take in Goldwings over 10 years old. If they last forever as most testify to, why can they only be serviced professionally for 10 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:08 PM

Year: 1988
Model: GL1500
Because parts supply is only guaranteed for 10 years, a local dealer to me in UK had a 1500 in for 15 months whilst they sourced parts worldwide
odinjunior likes this.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:05 PM
New Sidecar guy

Year: 1998
Model: SE/Hannigan Sidecar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanlj View Post
Because parts supply is only guaranteed for 10 years, a local dealer to me in UK had a 1500 in for 15 months whilst they sourced parts worldwide
Yet we are able to keep our over 20 year old bikes on the road.

There is a guy local to me (Arizona) that outfitted a large trailer as a shop and goes around the country (USA) servicing 1500 Valkyries. He makes such a good living that he just bought an almost new 1 ton Diesel Pick Up Truck.

Prior to that he serviced bikes out of his Garage.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 03:25 PM

Year: 1988
Model: GL1500
We are, but it is when we need the unusal part it becomes a problem, in the case i mentioned the owner wanted to use only new parts to fix his transmission, personally i would have fitted a salvage engine complete but the customer is king as they say and mostly it is US fixing OUR bikes and not paying dealers time
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:32 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouwinger View Post
I ordered a clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder rebuild kit from amazon, and a shop manual pdf from emanual online. I will get the bike going and move on from there. I still don't understand why Honda shops refuse to take in Goldwings over 10 years old. If they last forever as most testify to, why can they only be serviced professionally for 10 years.

One reason is because some owners have added so many extras (electrical and mechanical) and many times not done in the best fashion. It can be difficult (time consuming) to figure out what has been done in many cases. So it takes more time, costs more money and owners don't like the bill.

Just my thoughts but I have seen quite a few GL1500's with "wiring and mechanical nightmares" from less than good work by owners and others.

I can somewhat understand why dealerships don't like working on old bikes.

Lasting forever is not the issue, its the electrical and mechanical screw ups folks make along the way that causes many issues for mechanics and technicians when diagnosing and repairing problems..

Not a problem for me, I do most of my own work.....!

BTW.....It will start with the gas cap OFF.....!!
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I always figured the main reason dealers put a time limit for repairs was part availability.

Suppose you have a bike in the shop and you find out a part you need is no longer available. Now the bike sits in a corner waiting to find a NOS part, taking up space and all the while, the customer gets more angry.

Dealerships can't warranty used, or aftermarket, parts. What if they can't find a NOS part anywhere?

Why ain't we ridin'?
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Most (not all) parts that fail on GL1500's are still available from Honda. I know because we order them.....!
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:32 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Still, the dealers put a time limit out there, equal to the manufacturer's part supply liability, and apply it to ALL models.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page