LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2014,2005,2010
Make: Honda, Honda, and Street glide
Model: twin yellow wings
Garage
rear suspension error message

gl 1800 2005

Ok I changed my starter after much procrastination, i was able to nurse it along for a few more starts by striking the starter case to shock the brushes.
And sure enough when I opened the old starter the brushes were fine but were not able to advance due to so much black dust .
I am sure a cleaning would have fixed it .
But I just put in a replacement anyway.

The problem is what the heck did I do.................... got it all beck together and everything was fine except I have an system error for the rear suspension.
Gauge shows its full @ 25 lbs I dont know how it got that high I keep it at 10 psi, buttons dont activate the pump so nothing is working for the suspension.
I have disconnected the battery and will re connect that in an hour or so.

Just looking for Ideas I also swapped two relays under the seat with same number relay but that did not help.

Also wondering under the meter cover there is two connectors.................... no problem one is gray and one is black. Hey there is a third connector it is white is that for the CB I dont have one.
Is this just a loose connector with nothing to attach or did i miss something. What plugs into this white connector,its a pretty big one 1.5x1.5 wth.

send me your ideas.

vtlowrider

fix it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:28 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 2007 GL1800
Garage
Did you remove or loosen your dash gauges recently?

Mike K.
Honorary Wild Rhino- Thanks Fly!!
97 Aspencade - Pearl White
Darkside Rear Tire- Austone 175R16
Double Darkside Front-Battl-Ax BT-45 130/70-18
2014 starting mileage- 60106

07 GL1800 - Crucible Orange Metallic
Premium Audio/Comfort/NAVI/ABS
Converted to California Sidecar Viper Trike.

Darkside #1659
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:34 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
If you removed the tank possibly you disturbed the connection to the suspension actuator.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks dave I did just replace the starter .

Where is the actuator located and can I get to it without removing all the starter related stuff including the tank.

fix it right
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 07:58 PM

Model: 2012 Pearl White
Actuator is located behind the right saddlebag near the front of the bag. You have to remove the seat,rear center fender, then the bolts holding the saddlebag on. You can pull the bag out far enough to see it without disconnecting anything. Here's a link showing the location.
http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/reservoirfill.htm
There are plugs on the unit. I would check and make sure any of the connectors you pulled loose to replace the starter and tight.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys I think when I wrestled the tank in place I may have pulled one of the connectors off.
other choice is one of the two connectors by the radio.
I still have the looming question what is the third connector for the white one I connected both the other two under the ignition area but the third one is still unplugged Just dont know where it goes I think it may be for CB Radio but not sure.
either way sounds like more dis assembly for me,

fix it right
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:44 AM
mod-erator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtlowrider View Post
Thanks guys I think when I wrestled the tank in place I may have pulled one of the connectors off.
other choice is one of the two connectors by the radio.
I still have the looming question what is the third connector for the white one I connected both the other two under the ignition area but the third one is still unplugged Just dont know where it goes I think it may be for CB Radio but not sure.
either way sounds like more dis assembly for me,
There is a white multi-pin connector for the CB under the shelter.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok after the great people on this forum and the decades of gold-wing knowledge i was able to take a look behind the right bag and looking closely (with my glasses on) i observed a broken 3 pin connector on the outboard side of the shock.
No doubt that is where my problem is.

Any tips on what this 3 pin switch is called as the housing is what broke off .
And a good place to purchase one. held in place with two Phillips head screws kind of an egg shaped housing.cihilb picture it is the lower housing attached to the side of the shock.

Will I bleed down the system if I remove the switch.

thanks so much Dave and Cihilb

fix it right
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:50 AM
mod-erator

Garage
It is called an angle sensor. Honda does not sell it separate from the complete rear shock assembly. The connector is not on the shock,it is on the actuator and no, it will not leak fluid out if you remove the sensor. Here is an actuator on ebay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/EB444-2001-...oAAOSwu29ajwea You probably need to fill the oil reservoir on yours anyway.

2010 1800 pearl yellow

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok it is all fixed and working well.

Turns out I did break the sensor when I pushed the gas tank into the slightly smaller hole it came from.
Did not see that until after Daves comment I did not have to remove the bag to see it but I did remove the bag to get to the connector (just let it dangle did not actually remove the side bag)
was able to remove the part (name unknown) but Dave says Honda is not selling that part.
I do know it is identical to a part for a Honda ATV Honda # 38800-HPO-A11 Honestly it looks identical.

I did not replace my broken sensor when I got it off it was clearly broken but I could not see any reason why it would not work,

So attempt number one I pushed it back together and re connected it no luck still had the same error on the dash.
Thought about that overnight next day got up went to the garage(attempt number two) disconnected the neg terminal for 15 min then tried it again and it functioned perfect,

So I JB Welded it back together and now it works fine.
it only makes sense when you get an error I think you have to reset to clear the code.

Dave says this is called the angle sensor but i could find no angle sensor that remotely looks close. Located on the outboard side of the actuator 3 pin connector. Might be listed on a wiring diagram somewhere.

If you know that Dave is correct please confirm, and if you know this as another name please let me know as I am going to look for a replacement.

Thanks all for the help.

fix it right

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in