Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Model: '91 Aspencade
Just in case anybody ever reads this thread again...I removed the rear wheel, final drive, drive shaft and u-joint. Did not find one thing that looked or felt in any way loose, damaged, or improperly lubricated.
Bought new dampners and found that the old ones were in as good shape as the new ones. Reinstalled the old ones.
I did, however, install a new rear brake rotor and pads because the original rotor had a pretty deep groove in both surfaces.
I guess I just have a vivid imagination, but at least I confirmed that everything is good in this area. I rode the bike 300+ miles over the weekend mostly at highway speeds.
The only thing that bothers me is that when I attempted to final-torque the four bolts on the final drive that connect it to the swing arm I found that one of them was absolutely impossible to access with a socket. The best I could do was to get a "crows foot" on it.
Thanks to everyone who responded to me on this thread and off-line.