universal joint inspection - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: '91 Aspencade
Thanks guys. I got the rotor from PartsGiant.com and the dampners and retainer from 2WheelPros.com. I should have the parts in a couple of days and I've got other stuff I can do until then.

toolcraft4100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

conclusion

Just in case anybody ever reads this thread again...I removed the rear wheel, final drive, drive shaft and u-joint. Did not find one thing that looked or felt in any way loose, damaged, or improperly lubricated.
Bought new dampners and found that the old ones were in as good shape as the new ones. Reinstalled the old ones.
I did, however, install a new rear brake rotor and pads because the original rotor had a pretty deep groove in both surfaces.
I guess I just have a vivid imagination, but at least I confirmed that everything is good in this area. I rode the bike 300+ miles over the weekend mostly at highway speeds.

The only thing that bothers me is that when I attempted to final-torque the four bolts on the final drive that connect it to the swing arm I found that one of them was absolutely impossible to access with a socket. The best I could do was to get a "crows foot" on it.
Thanks to everyone who responded to me on this thread and off-line.

toolcraft4100
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 View Post
Just in case anybody ever reads this thread again...I removed the rear wheel, final drive, drive shaft and u-joint. Did not find one thing that looked or felt in any way loose, damaged, or improperly lubricated.
Bought new dampners and found that the old ones were in as good shape as the new ones. Reinstalled the old ones.
I did, however, install a new rear brake rotor and pads because the original rotor had a pretty deep groove in both surfaces.
I guess I just have a vivid imagination, but at least I confirmed that everything is good in this area. I rode the bike 300+ miles over the weekend mostly at highway speeds.

The only thing that bothers me is that when I attempted to final-torque the four bolts on the final drive that connect it to the swing arm I found that one of them was absolutely impossible to access with a socket. The best I could do was to get a "crows foot" on it.
What you describe about the bolt on the final drive is very common everywhere in the indistry. My theory is the manufacturer is also aware that there is no way yoou can put a torque wrench on the bolt but they still list it so you have an idea of how tight to tighten it. I almost never use a torque wrench. After 50 years you get a pretty good feel for what needs to be done.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Depending on how you align it, there is no problem using a crows foot on a torque wrench. As long as you don't change the effective length, no math required. Also there are open ended and box torque wrenches. The military loves those things. And thanks to new style A/C systems, there are even torque reading adjustable wrenches and swapping head versions.
And of course the good old calibrated wrist.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
What you describe about the bolt on the final drive is very common everywhere in the indistry. My theory is the manufacturer is also aware that there is no way yoou can put a torque wrench on the bolt but they still list it so you have an idea of how tight to tighten it. I almost never use a torque wrench. After 50 years you get a pretty good feel for what needs to be done.
I have a friend who has an "almost calibrated" wrist. He usually gets within 3 -4 ft lbs of the torque value.

But his wrist didn't work when torquing the front wheel lug nuts on a Motor Home (200 ft lb). That required a "BIG LONG" torque wrench
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

If I had removed everything the Clymer book told me to remove to get the U-Joint out I probably could have come from underneath and behind and got a socket and extension and torque wrench on it.

I also probably could have installed that short little SS brake line that I bought with the set and still have in the package in the cabinet.

The step-by-step instructions I found on this website skipped over the whole part about retorquing the left swingarm pivot bolt. I ground notches in a 1-1/4" socket to match the retaining nut and torgued the nut to spec. I visually "marked" the position of the pivot bolt hex head and it did not seem to move at all when I tightened the retainer bolt.

toolcraft4100
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 View Post
I use a box end and calibrated pull

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 AM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
Torque it with tire off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200 arm.jpg (79.9 KB, 5 views)

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Toolcraft4100

seriously?

CWN: with all due respect to you and your experience, the Clymer manual for my old '77 and for my '91 both say to torque the final drive bolts after you install the tire. Also the local Honda motorsports guru that I consult with made a point to tell me to do so. I do not have a Honda Service Manual.
I am confident that I turned the bolt that I could not tighten with my torque wrench and socket with as much or more torque as I did the others, so I am not concerned about my work.
I am an open-minded amateur so I would be happy to listen to why you think it's ok to torque these bolts before you install the tire.
Bike...and Dennis likes this.

toolcraft4100
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:42 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
I too thought it was preferable to have the wheel in place before tightening the drive-line joint. Something about the alignment of the shaft.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page