Led light effecting voltage - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Year: 78
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: GL1000
Hello all, last night I replaced the halogen bulb in my headlight with an led. This morning on the way to work I noticed my voltage guage was higher then normal. It usually sits just above 14 when riding but today it was at 15, should I switch the bulbs back? Will this damage my battery or charging system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:30 AM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
That voltage is a little high, and the reduced draw from the LED is putting more load on the factory shunt regulator. Added heat in the regulator could cause failure and 15v is a little high for the battery too.

LEDs are nice to have, I'd look at upgrading the rectifier and regulator (separate units on a GL1000 as I recall) to one of the new MOSFET Series type Rec/Reg combo units out there now.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:42 AM

Model: 93 Gl1500 / 76 Gl1000
Before you do anything else make sure your voltage meter is accurate. If you are using the original meter on the bike chances are good it is off a volt or two.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Black 93 1500 Aspy
Yellow 76 1000
Black Cherry 04 Rune Sold

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something, sometime in your life." Winston Churchill

"I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?" B. O.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
Before you do anything else make sure your voltage meter is accurate. If you are using the original meter on the bike chances are good it is off a volt or two.
ditto,

verify this with a DVM....
panel meters are only indicative of a trend.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingdong View Post
ditto,

verify this with a DVM....
panel meters are only indicative of a trend.
Thanks, I'll check, should I just check the voltage at the battery with the engine at 3k rpm?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Year: 1984
Model: GL1200I
Garage
3-5K. Anywhere in there is fine. Just hold it steady and check the voltage at the battery. Compare to the dash gauge to get an idea how far off it is. I'd bet your gauge is a full volt off. Like John said, the gauge is more to show trends than exact measurements. I put a cigarette lighter DVM in my fairing pocket to give me a much more accurate check.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
on my 1800, I wired the panel voltmeter DIRECT TO BATTERY POSTS.....

But, that comes with dire consequences, because if a Battery Tender is not always hooked up, it will run the battery down flat in about 3 weeks time....

I am a Battery Tender freak guy, and I have them on everything I own that sets more than 2 or 3 days between use. Even the lawn tractor, especially the lawn tractor as it sets for 3 or 4 weeks in between use... those little cheap ass batteries for those things don't like to linger below 13.6 volts.

~ John

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonimusMaximus View Post
3-5K. Anywhere in there is fine. Just hold it steady and check the voltage at the battery. Compare to the dash gauge to get an idea how far off it is. I'd bet your gauge is a full volt off. Like John said, the gauge is more to show trends than exact measurements. I put a cigarette lighter DVM in my fairing pocket to give me a much more accurate check.
So I checked the battery with my DVM and it was showing around 15.9 to 15.6 at the battery, the book says the regulator should kick it at 14-15 volts, also it gets pretty damn hot! is the regulator going bad? I've put over 2000 miles on it so far with it no issues, I never thought to check until I put the led headlight in, I put the halogen bulb back in also to see if that helps
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Ohm's Law is at play here. Ohm's Law states: resistance of the circuit is equal to the voltage divided by amperage, or R=V/A. The LED is lower wattage than a Halogen by about 1/3. Reducing the wattage in the circuit is the same as lowering the resistance. In your GL1000, the current (watts or volt times amperage) is constant. Lower the resistance, current is constant then the voltage must go up to keep the formula balanced... or so Ohm says. The only reason to have the LED is if you like it. If you want to keep it I would suggest a modern voltage regulator such as Rick's MOS FET regulator. Above 14 volts will cause the battery to boil off faster. You will need to keep a closer eye on the battery electrolyte level until this gets sorted out.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
Ohm's Law is at play here. Ohm's Law states: resistance of the circuit is equal to the voltage divided by amperage, or R=V/A. The LED is lower wattage than a Halogen by about 1/3. Reducing the wattage in the circuit is the same as lowering the resistance. In your GL1000, the current (watts or volt times amperage) is constant. Lower the resistance, current is constant then the voltage must go up to keep the formula balanced... or so Ohm says. The only reason to have the LED is if you like it. If you want to keep it I would suggest a modern voltage regulator such as Rick's MOS FET regulator. Above 14 volts will cause the battery to boil off faster. You will need to keep a closer eye on the battery electrolyte level until this gets sorted out.
Thanks! Do you think as long as I don't let the battery run dry it should be ok? Also do you know if that Ricks MOSFET regulator is an exact replacement without having to do any wiring?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page