Timing Belt broke - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
If he's lucky he just bent a couple valves, unlucky there's holes in two pistons and the head is trash.......
Respectfully that does not have to be right. Those two cylinders are 180 degrees apart. So when the one piston is at the bottom of it's stroke, on compression, both valves are closed. That cylinder will have no valves open for one complete turn, 360 degrees. The other affected cylinder must be on it's power stroke and both valves are closed. The piston will go down on it's power stroke (180 degrees) and the exhaust valve will start to open. Remember though there is no danger until the piston reaches the top of it's stroke where it can collide with the slightly open exhaust valve. That means there is almost 360 degrees of travel where there is no danger in theory. The problem is if you are going down the highway as he was so many things are happening and for so long that in reality it has likely or almost certainly done some damage. I have fixed a lot of broken timing chains and belts and I would guess 90 percent have internal damage. One in particular comes to mind where the chain broke while cranking the engine to start it. No damage. Just a new chain.
If I had to bet I would say Denver is right but it is not always a certainty. Especially on the 4 cylinder engines.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:45 AM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
I agree, possible to have no damage at all. At an idle if the cam comes to a quick stop where all valves are closed there will be no damage. Odds of that happening at speed, though, are very small. Most common result seems to be bent valves. I've heard where valves broke, resulting in piston holes and ruined head.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:56 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
I agree, possible to have no damage at all. At an idle if the cam comes to a quick stop where all valves are closed there will be no damage. d.
The valves in either head are never all closed at the same time.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 01:23 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
I agree, possible to have no damage at all. At an idle if the cam comes to a quick stop where all valves are closed there will be no damage. Odds of that happening at speed, though, are very small. Most common result seems to be bent valves. I've heard where valves broke, resulting in piston holes and ruined head.
Yeah. we can all agree it is never a good thing when the belt breaks but it is worth 5 minute check to be sure there is damage before taking it all apart. I have disassembled too many things to find nothing wrong. I really don't understand why interference engines even exist. Make the valve pockets a little deeper and if the compression is not what you want add somewhere else. I would like to think it is not that easy but I really don't know any real good reason.
I just finished a terrible job on a Ford Escape transmission. Ford wanted to get better fuel mileage so they put in a really small charge pump and low viscosity ATF. First question is how much fuel does that save? The real question is what happens to the transmission when things wear just a bit and the valve body bypasses just a little bit too much oil and the small pump has no reserve? Almost $5,0000 if you have it done. How much gas could you buy with $5,000? Darn car companies and government!

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Year: 1992
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
I really don't understand why interference engines even exist.
You could say the same about timing belts. Chains generally last the life of most engines, so why even mess with a belt and it's need for seals at each shaft and a cover to keep out debris. It's all about $$$.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page