5 year old "New" Timing Belts For GL1500 - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Model: 2000 GL1500SE
Thanks to all of you for the feedback-----just goes to show-again,how helpful this forum is!!

Current rides--
2000 Gl1500SE
1999 Suzuki Intruder 800
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100

Past rides---
1975 GL1000
1978 GL1000
1987 Gl1200

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:12 PM

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Interstate
I say no. Rubber loses solvents and dries out. Thats why rubber smells like.... rubber. Tires expire for that reason. Bent valves are $$$

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
I bought a 24 year old, 115,000 mile 1100 that according to the owner the belts had never been changed. I didn't even ride it before changing them but goes to show they will last a long time.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:10 PM

Model: '98 Valkyrie
T275 TIMING BELT

Product # 85950439
  • PTFE-infused jackets to reduce frictional losses and tooth shear.
  • High grade HNBR rubber for superior heat and contamination resistance.
  • Premium tensile members providing maximum strength.
  • Aramid reinforced nylon jackets and backsides increase durability and lifetime.
very under stressed belts on the engine for how they are made.
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...17195_2014.pdf

per laws anything having to do with emissions of a vehicle, must last a minimum of 100k miles.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
T275 TIMING BELT

Product # 85950439
  • PTFE-infused jackets to reduce frictional losses and tooth shear.
  • High grade HNBR rubber for superior heat and contamination resistance.
  • Premium tensile members providing maximum strength.
  • Aramid reinforced nylon jackets and backsides increase durability and lifetime.
very under stressed belts on the engine for how they are made.
https://assets.gates.com/content/dam...17195_2014.pdf

per laws anything having to do with emissions of a vehicle, must last a minimum of 100k miles.
But they have nothing to do with emissions & when they break there are no more emissions.
flylow and Bellboy40 like this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Official "Cheeky Plonker"

Year: 1980-81-82-83
Make: Honda
Model: GL1100STDASPENSTATE
I'm kind've differing from most here, now I'm as cheap as they come, in fact, if you look up the word cheap in the dictionary you'll find a picture of me in color, right next to my old friend Bob.

But $#!t man, $35.00, when you know what you have to lose, that's nuts!!

Rubber has a shelf life, I buy hundreds of them for work, and we pretty much know which ones where old.

But thankfully when ours break, they don't break a work of art.

Like yours will.

For what it's worth and if I may be so bold? The current rebuild of the `80, `81, `82 & `83 GL1100STDASPENSTATE can be followed on classicgoldwings.com in a thread called "The plan is to turn 140,000 into 50,000."

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
If you bought a 2014 car would you worry about the 5 year old belts. One issue no one has talked about yet, I think, is the length of timing belts. The longer the belt the slower (RPM) the belt will go. Long belts last 100K plus. Little shorties like the Chev Aveo use only suggest 50 to 60K. Do whatever will help you sleep at night.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Model: '98 Valkyrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
But they have nothing to do with emissions & when they break there are no more emissions.

huh? cam timing can be off due to belts, such as a stretched belt, which affects emissions. some engines are not interference engines, jumping a tooth on a belt, engine would still run, but bad emissions.

the materials of the belt do not degrade, otherwise Honda would have given a time to change if age was a problem on their flagship model which could be had with a seven yr warranty.
the belts are very under stressed, not exposed to the elements and high underhood engine heat.

I just checked mine at 62000 miles when I was changing heads. The belts looked new, zero wear.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrieRider View Post
huh? cam timing can be off due to belts, such as a stretched belt, which affects emissions. some engines are not interference engines, jumping a tooth on a belt, engine would still run, but bad emissions.

the materials of the belt do not degrade, otherwise Honda would have given a time to change if age was a problem on their flagship model which could be had with a seven yr warranty.
the belts are very under stressed, not exposed to the elements and high underhood engine heat.

I just checked mine at 62000 miles when I was changing heads. The belts looked new, zero wear.
Valk,
It is not unusual for a belt to look just fine but be broken. They don't usually show signs of failure to the naked eye. It would be like taking your engine apart to see if a connecting rod is going to fail. Can't tell. That is why it is so spooky. Also I agree timing belts can cause emission issues but that is a stretch. (no pun intended) A stretched belt really has no real affect on camshaft timing. If it stretched far enough to cause emission issues the teeth of the belt would not mesh with the sprocket and the engine would not run that way. Emission related components are more likely induction related, sensors, cats etc. I think if you brought your car to your dealer and asked for emission warranty when a belt fails you would have an argument on your hands..

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page