Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/)
-   Goldwing Technical Forum (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/)
-   -   5 year old "New" Timing Belts For GL1500 (https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/668537-5-year-old-new-timing-belts-gl1500.html)

randylexus 08-11-2019 08:23 PM

5 year old "New" Timing Belts For GL1500

I am in process of replacing the timing belts on my 2000 GL1500, and found the belts I purchased about five years ago. They are Gates brand, still in the box, and have been stored in a tool cabinet. My question is----- since they obviously have no wear, no kinks, etc. are they still OK to install? I'd really hate to toss them and repurchase, however I don't want to put my engine at risk! Any thoughts, advice, observations, etc. on this??

BLUTHUNDR31 08-11-2019 08:40 PM

HMMM, , , the REAL question is, , , If you DO install those 5 yr old belts (with no wear and no kinks) and they break, ,how hard are you gonna kick yourself for not getting NEW ones????

Its no guarantee that NEW belts won't break, , ,and those 5 yr old belts could last for years to come with no problem. Any advice you get will be 100% guess-work, , but my .02 cents are ,, , , if the 5 yr old belts have been out of the sun and in a cool place, , , I'D PUT EM ON.

DBohrer 08-11-2019 08:40 PM

randylexus 08-11-2019 09:43 PM

Thanks for the input, I am also prone to going ahead and using the belts. Bluthndr31, I can truly say that they have been kept out of the sun, but-------- "in a cool place" ?
There is no such place in southern Alabama!!!

DaveO430 08-11-2019 10:22 PM

Since they do last much longer than 5 years even when on an engine and they have not been under stress or extreme heat I would use them.

Andy Cote 08-12-2019 06:10 AM

(I know it can be done faster but) Planning a half of day of work on your prized passion and then to NOT spend $35 for a new pair of belts?

Amazon has them with free shipping.

I am frugal as they come but I'd buy new.

RambozoClown 08-12-2019 12:15 PM

I would inspect them very closely. Any issues, replace, otherwise use them. Maybe look some some kind of date code, too. I bet a lot of "new" belts have quite a bit of shelf time on them.

FredFromArnold 08-12-2019 04:57 PM

If it was me I'd go ahead and install them....

CrystalPistol 08-12-2019 05:02 PM

5 years in a dark box in a dry basement, even if in south Texas, I'd use them without hesitation.

highriderzr2guy 08-12-2019 07:26 PM

Yes I would think they would be OK . Can't tell you how long are belts at work have hung on the wall in the shop till we need them years us all I know. And lie others have said just because you go buy NEW belts when we're those made . I would not bat a,eye and would put them on . Sincerely Roger H.