Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Mirror question for 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  PAPete 
#1 · (Edited)
My 1200 recently took a nap as I was moving it and fell against the garage wall, breaking the right side mirror. The "socket" part of the ball and socket is toast, and I have ordered a new one off eBay.

My question is this: How do I get the existing ball into the socket? Does it just snap into place? Seems odd, since it must be a tight fit to avoid wobbling.

Thanks, Pete

Edit: Maybe it comes with the ball and its shaft already in the socket. Couldn't see it from the eBay picture.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have replaced many mirrors on the 1200 I owned when mine took a nap. I never found a mirror that did not come mounted on the ball. I did find some EMCO mirrors and these drove me nuts, they didn't vibrate, they just worked their way down. I ended up placing them where I wanted and putting a scree through the plastic mount and the plastic ball to hold it in place. it worked.

#8 ·
Thanks for the link; I'll save it. The mirror arrived Monday, as advertised, and it turned out to be an Emco. Maybe they are the Honda supplier now.

I haven't had time to install it yet, but I may use a self-tapping screw on it, as some have suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.