Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

How does ONE propose that ONE push-start a GL1200a

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  BadMonk's1200 
#1 ·
I've been having intermittent starter problems that I've scoured these forums to get the answer for and have. Removal and possible rebuild. Also read about the secondary and better place to put a lead opposed to its factory placing. I've also read about a couple of you guys push starting your Goldwing. Please tell me how the heck you're doing that alone. Mine's dry weight is 987lbs. I may find out that I'm just a puss today but let me tell ya.. I can barely move it alone.

#2 ·
3rd gear probably, but that would be risky, as when it starts it is going to leave you behind.

I would suggest two helpers and you on the bike. 3rd or 4th gear...
been too long since I owned a 1200, and don't think I ever had to push start it.
it was an '86SEi

#9 ·
Years ago when my 1100 was the "Daily Driver" the starter brushes were going bad, it would turn over sluggishly and pull a lot of current doing it, but always started. I hadn't the chance to fix the starter before things really went south. The start relay couldn't take the high current abuse anymore and gave up. So for the rest of the week I had to choose parking spots carefully so I could roll-start the bike.

I have long legs, I can actually get the 1100 rolling fast enough on level ground while straddling it that I can start it in 1st gear with a quick bump of the clutch. Don't think I'd want to try that on the 1500 though!

... So after new brushes in the starter and a new start relay I took the old relay apart - Just to see. Heat from excess current had melted plastic housing internally to where the big copper washer on the plunger could no longer contact both main terminal bolts.

Reactions: JamesPal
#10 ·
Before I replaced my stator, with a new gel battery I’d cruise for the day and charged it when I got home.

When I was out for a few hours, later in the day, I’d park it where I could find a short downhill. Let it coast 30 feet in 2nd gear, let the clutch out; vroom and go!

#12 ·
Until you get the starter fixed, just park on a hill.

#13 ·
The neighbor down the way already had to do this.
Driver mount, use second gear, someone push.

How do I know? I was the pusher. :frown2:

#14 ·
83 GL1100 Starter went out on trip
88 GL1500 Weak battery- accidentally left mp3 player plugged in for a week and was wanting to go somewhere immediately and not wait to use charger

Push start in second gear always worked the best for me. 1st gear would slide too easy if any crap on the road.
I have long legs so i could sit on the seat and paddle away for a little while and way easier if downhill.

#15 ·
Reminds me of a little push-start mishap I had in my foolish teenage years. I had a little moped which I push-started frequently. A friend had a BIG Honda 305 Superhawk and I persuaded him to let me ride it. Starter was out and I had to push-start - no problem I thought. I started a galloping run across a parking lot, popped the clutch and goosed the throttle - just like I did with my little moped. Unlike my moped, however, Superhawk came alive and yanked me along until I hit the bumper of a parked car. Fortunately I only injured my pride, skinned a knee, and destroyed the front fender on the bike, which I had to replace, of course. I've been very wary of push-starting anything since! :|

#18 ·
Living in PA, there's a hill - big or small - close by so bump starting is almost always good to go. Many moons ago, I was selling my 1100 (in NJ, not PA) and the battery went dead just when a guy come by to check it out. He proceeded to push the bike from a dead stop while standing next to it then hopped on, put it in gear and compression started it. Being an average 5'9", it was impressive at the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.