Starter went out Just as I was leaving for a trip. - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
Starter went out Just as I was leaving for a trip.

I had my Bike Loaded with my stuff for a ride over Tioga Pass Headed for Lee Vining and up Hwy 395 to Carson City to see the Train Museum. Went to shut the bike off and the Starter keep running. Well I got it shut off but then it would not start. I ordered new relay's from Cycle Max and a used starter from Southern California. Got the new starter in and still nothing, it turned out to be the B relay but I replaced them both. The B relay is the one closer to the front of the bike, the one back at the Battery is the A relay and I think it controls the reverse. I might be wrong but I bought both so might as well put them on. My bike is a 1993 with 162,000 miles on it and I think that was the original starter. I'm the guy that was complain about Honda putting the starter and Alt on the back of the motor when I changed the motor 2 years ago. I guess it get's easier if you do it a few times. Well next Monday I'll pack it up and try my trip again the bike is running good and start's right up. I think my old starter needs new brushes and a good cleaning so I will rebuild it and keep it for a spare. If it was not for this Site and Goldwing Doc's I would not know how to fix this stuff and I want to say a big Thank You to everyone who write's stuff on here. It keeps these old bike's running and running. Thank You!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1149.jpg (146.9 KB, 16 views)
AZgl1800 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:01 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
I'ld rebuild my OEM and put it back in, keep the used unknown as a spare, rebuild it later maybe.

At the very least, I'd open up the unknown and go through it before putting it on my bike to maybe leave me stranded & leave my OEM in place for now since it works.
JamesPal likes this.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1993
Model: 1993 GL 1500
Garage
Crystal Pistol you are right but the one I put on is an OEM and according to the guy the bike only had 40,000 miles on it. It's a crap shoot either way, I will rebuilt my old one and then go from there. As a side note seems every used part I buy off the web only has 40,000 miles on it. LOL
CrystalPistol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 PM

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burns View Post
... it turned out to be the B relay but I replaced them both....

Good move... They both experience that exact same amount of Wear/Operation, so when one goes bad, the next is not far behind.

Always carry a spare of each

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
I had my Bike Loaded with my stuff for a ride over Tioga Pass Headed for Lee Vining and up Hwy 395 to Carson City to see the Train Museum. Went to shut the bike off and the Starter keep running. Well I got it shut off but then it would not start. I ordered new relay's from Cycle Max and a used starter from Southern California. Got the new starter in and still nothing, it turned out to be the B relay but I replaced them both.

That was caused by the relay A stuck in the closed position (not the relay B).....!!

The B relay is the one closer to the front of the bike, the one back at the Battery is the A relay and I think it controls the reverse.

You are correct on the locations of the relays. The relay A does control the reverse, it also powers and triggers the relay B.

I seriously doubt that relay B was your problem.....!!

Been riding and wrenching on GL1500's 26 years and haven't came across a relay B failure yet. Its usually always the relay A....!!!!

I might be wrong but I bought both so might as well put them on. My bike is a 1993 with 162,000 miles on it and I think that was the original starter.

The GL1500 starters last a long time (miles). My '99 with 222k miles still has the OEM starter. While doing some other mAintenance on a 1989 Gold Wing with 200k miles, we removed the starter to check it out. The brushes were still only about half worn down but we did replace them. All else was good with the starter.

I am wondering why you was worried about the starter motor based on the symptoms involved....!!

I'm the guy that was complain about Honda putting the starter and Alt on the back of the motor when I changed the motor 2 years ago. I guess it get's easier if you do it a few times. Well next Monday I'll pack it up and try my trip again the bike is running good and start's right up. I think my old starter needs new brushes and a good cleaning so I will rebuild it and keep it for a spare. If it was not for this Site and Goldwing Doc's I would not know how to fix this stuff and I want to say a big Thank You to everyone who write's stuff on here. It keeps these old bike's running and running. Thank You!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:46 PM

Year: 1997
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Crystal Pistol you are right but the one I put on is an OEM and according to the guy the bike only had 40,000 miles on it. It's a crap shoot either way, I will rebuilt my old one and then go from there. As a side note seems every used part I buy off the web only has 40,000 miles on it. LOL
I see added info ... 40,xxx ain't much, it's young yet.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:10 PM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
I was waiting for you Jerry :<)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-004F (3).JPG (65.2 KB, 14 views)

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:20 PM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
I see added info ... 40,xxx ain't much, it's young yet.
It depends on how many times the starter was used and how much cranking it did. The starter is doing nothing when you are putting miles on the bike. An old one with low miles might have had more starter use than a young one with high mileage.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Year: 1998
Model: GL1500 SE
And if it was used for reverse a lot where it had to power up a hill that is a LOT of hard used for a starter designed to crank and engine for a couple seconds.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:46 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
The 1989 Gold Wing (with 200k miles) in post # 5 is a Trike. Lots of harder starter use....!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page