Hey Everyone from Florida's West Coast - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Year: 1967
Make: BSA Royal Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captntom View Post
I checked everything except red 9 pin connector (too much plastic to take off this evening). I had power to kill switch so do I still need to check 9 pin connector? If the next stop is the ECM what do I do with it, replace?
Where is it located? Can I bypass it with a relay or something to fuel pump?
Thanks again.
Did you also have output power from the Kill switch...?? Power on both screws on the Kill switch...??.

The output (black/light green) wire from the relay passes through the Red "9-pin" connector enroute to the Kill switch.

The output (black/white) wire from the Kill switch passes back through the Red "9-pin" connector enroute to the ECM.

I would suspect the Red "9-pin" connector is probably good.

Check my other post, next step is at the fuel pump.....!!

The ECM is located behind the right fairing inner panel (the one by your right knee when sitting on the bike).
Captntom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Question about #8
I had power( with key on ) on both wires screwed down to kill switch when in run position. In off position power to one wire only.
That is correct....! Kill switch working normal....!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I will check 4 pin connector tomorrow. When I jumped 12v to B terminal and the fuel pump ran and filled fuel filter the engine never fired. I will try putting gas in carb tomorrow and see if it fires.
Thanks
Rather than that, just bypass the auto fuel shut-off valve. Fuel right from the filter to the carbs....!!

It may (or may not) start...! If the problem is at the ECM, it could only be affecting output to the fuel pump. If so, it will probably start.

If it starts there is no problem with the Red "9-pin" connector. There is power going to the ECM and ignition coils....!!

Otherwise it probably will not start.

If I have screwed this up, Redwing52 will let us know....!

Let us know results.............!!
Captntom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I get no power to B terminal when starter is engaged. Engine didn't fire with jumper.
No output power from the ECM.....!!

If the auto fuel shut-off valve is working good (reference post # 13), then you probably have an ECM issue.....!

Or could be a connector issue at the ECM (one large connector).....!
Attached Files
File Type: doc GL1500 Engine Control Module 1990 - 2000.doc (12.0 KB, 11 views)
redwing52 and BadMonk's1200 like this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 PM

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
My thoughts are that if you have no power at the fuel pump while cranking AND no run when you hot wire the pump, I bet you have no spark also. It can not be a fuel pump only issue or it would start with the hot wire installed. Why not take a minute and check for spark at the plug. Think there is a good chance you will have no spark. Good clue for the problem with no fuel pump and no spark. (if true) A unplugged pulse generator plug would give no spark and no fuel for example. Were you working in that area?
BadMonk's1200 likes this.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 10:56 PM

There was an issue a while back where there was no output from the ECM to the fuel pump. When power jumped to the fuel pump it would start and run good.

It was a bad transistor in the ECM. There was no ignition issue.

I sent Capt the thread for that issue....just in case he might need it....!

There is a chance he might find spark...

But I have been wrong before.....wouldn't be the first time....
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
No output power from the ECM.....!!

If the auto fuel shut-off valve is working good (reference post # 13), then you probably have an ECM issue.....!

Or could be a connector issue at the ECM (one large connector).....!
Dave,
I do recall a member who had issues and it turned out the ECM plug looked good but wasn't quite pushed home. I guess it looked good but just wasn't quite contacting the ECM.

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Dave,
I do recall a member who had issues and it turned out the ECM plug looked good but wasn't quite pushed home. I guess it looked good but just wasn't quite contacting the ECM.
It was a problem where the rubber cover was seated good but the Yellow connector was not seated all the way. If I recall, in that case it would not even start (more that no output for fuel).

I need to disappear for a while................!!!!
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBohrer View Post
There was an issue a while back where there was no output from the ECM to the fuel pump. When power jumped to the fuel pump it would start and run good.

It was a bad transistor in the ECM. There was no ignition issue.

I sent Capt the thread for that issue....just in case he might need it....!

There is a chance he might find spark...

But I have been wrong before.....wouldn't be the first time....
Just a guess on my part Dave. Based on it won't run even if he hot wires the pump. ..

Mike

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Year: 1998
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 SE
It has always been my experience (very looong experience) that when something is running and you work on it to make it run better and find it will no longer run at all that you always need to immediately go back over the work you JUST performed because you probably did something wrong or you pulled something apart. Your problem is always going to lie in the area that you were working. This work ethic has served me quite well in 40 plus years of wrenching and I have found many times where I either missed a connection or I pulled another, unrelated one, apart in the process of fixing the first problem. If you go off on a completely new route trying to find a new problem that was not there before you can end up with multiple problems and you will be chasing your tail for days or weeks.
I am far from an expert on these bikes so I don't have anything to offer here other than when working on my own I see plenty of opportunity to accidentally pull off a line or wire since they are all jammed in tight. Just something to thank about.
flylow likes this.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Goldwing Technical Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page